Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

big rhett

RVF Newbee
I have been reading on the forums here about the problems folks are having with the later Cummins engine . I have an 2001 American Tradition which has the Banks Power System 'I am not sure as I bought the coach used I'm the third owner .What are the pros and cons of the Banks System on a Cummins engine.What I do know : This thing will fly . but the fuel mileage is terrible ,about 6 mpg . This is the same as I get on a Prevost bus with the 8v92 Driptroit . Can this this system be removed ? If so ,will it improve mileage dramatically and what could be the penalty leaving it as is.

You'd be VERY sorry if you removed a BANKS Turbo from a Cummins!!

All of the Cummins ISX series have Turbos, and would be complete DOGS if they didn't.

If you go to Performance Diesel in St. George, they'll help you out with any tuning you might need, as well as putting a Tuner on it to improve torque and mileage a bit.

FYI: You didn't give any specs on your rig, but assuming it's a 45', 6mpg isn't far off from those of us with 45' Class A Buses. At 55k on a 43' with the 450hp, I was around 6.5. My current Newell is 60k with the 600hp and I'm lucky to see over 6 with all the hills.

Latest resources

Back