Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kangarooelaine

RVF Regular
When an RV park says there is a limit to the RV length, is that from hitch to bumper or something else? Salesperson told us it was the living area length.

Are there RV parks that do not allow pop-outs?

Are membership programs worthwhile for RVing? Things like Thousand Trails, KOA, Passport America, etc... if any are good which ones?

Thanks!

I use the published length of my coach such as I have a 40ft motorhome. It's actually about 41' by tape measure but I use the 40ft for the campground reservation. When you reserve a camp site they'll ask if you have slideouts, tow vehicle, etc.

I highly recommend the KOA value card, it saves you 10% for each reservation. Some like KOA's some don't, I do. The only other one would be Harvest Hosts in my opinion.

I agree with @Neal; use the length the manufacturer lists. KOAs aren't really "membership" parks." They simply have a discount card membership program. In our experience, they range from great to just OK, but we've never found a KOA that was unsatisfactory.

Membership programs like Thousand Trails are different and have their pros and cons. Basically, you pay in advance for a given number of nights each year. If you use the parks more than the minimum, you pay extra for more nights; if you don't use the minimum number of nights, you dont get a refund for any that are unused. We dropped our Thousand Trails membership a few years ago after 20+ years as members. For us, the cons finally exceeded the pros. That may or may not be the case for others.

If you do seriously consider a membership in one of those programs, I encourage you to do your homework. I think many of the membership programs will give you a free trial weekend to evaluate their facilities. I suggest you take advantage of that type of program before signing on the dotted line. Remember, these memberships are contracts and will bind you to a specific term (frequently 10 years) before you can discontinue your membership.

TJ

The reason I'm asking about length is there is a state park we want to visit that can only take RVs up to 25 feet long. Well the trailer I decided I like best (and others I also like) are more than that. Dealer told me it's the livable space which is 24 feet. But the number on the brochure says 27 feet so I feel like I would not be allowed to camp in that state park.

The reason I'm asking about length is there is a state park we want to visit that can only take RVs up to 25 feet long. Well the trailer I decided I like best (and others I also like) are more than that. Dealer told me it's the livable space which is 24 feet. But the number on the brochure says 27 feet so I feel like I would not be allowed to camp in that state park.
Yeah...no. Dealer is blowing some smoke in my opinion. State Parks while usually some of the most beautiful and tranquil places to be, are usually tight ins and outs. Often trees are too close to the road, not trimmed and it can be difficult, sometimes impossible to get into a site that they say you should fit in.

if a state park said 24’, I would respect that because I’ve personally gotten a little too close to a tree trying to get into a site and put a small 4” scratch in my brand new unit, even though the site was rated for my length. No one to be mad at except myself. $1100 to fix.

if I were at a commercial campground however, I might try to squeeze in as these sites usually have some buffer built in.

Either way, the max length and sizes campgrounds (commercial or public) post have nothing to do with livable space. It’s the exterior length and width that matter. All they care about is making sure you can fits where you sits.

I don’t bluff with anything more than 3’, so my minimum site size is 40’ and I’ll usually only do that if Google Maps or site pictures are available and I can see I’ve got some room to hang my butt over pad.

Last edited:

Get the RV and floorplan you want, you will find campgrounds anywhere and everywhere that suits what you bought. We all hear about max size for this or that, don't sweat that stuff, get what you're going to be happy in as 99% of the time you won't be at that one place that someone is talking about.

Yeah, I thought that was wrong what he was saying. And yes it's a state park so I thought it would be a bigger issue there than some other places. That place is just one visit for us so I can see the perspective of just get what you want. But I also want the versatility to go where I want too, not just have the floor plan I want. And there are other places that are tight like that.

OK I am decided on what I'm buying! And it's less than 25 feet long :D
I'm getting a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. It will be able to comfortably sleep me, husband, my mom, and my tall son. I'm starting to get excited about this again. I'm looking forward to spending my 15 year anniversary with my husband in it at the state park where we got married and tent camped for our honeymoon. Plus taking my hubs and son to Yosemite, my mom to Yellowstone, and my son to Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park where he can see fossils of his favorite! I think we will do that Utah dino triangle. And some California beach time in our new trailer too. I'm excited!

Great to hear. Looking forward to the pics.

I think you made a great choice. Don't forget to come back and fill us in when you take delivery, take your first trip in it, etc. And, we love photos of RVs and their owners.

Congratulations.

TJ

Latest resources

Back