• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JonC

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River Salem Hemisphere elite 34RL
My situation is a 5th wheel with a residential fridge. Where I camp I don't have power 24/7, most of the time I have AC from 8 AM to about 8 PM. I have a inverter on the fridge, what are your recommendations on keeping it going or at least keep the temp overnight.

Two 12-volt batteries should easily power the fridge overnight with plenty of power to spare. What it's going to depend on is the number of other devices you are trying to power like lights, fans, and the fan in the propane heater uses a lot of power. When looking at the fridge specs remember it doesn't run continuously and less you open the door the less power it will consume.

Actually, two 6V batteries in series for 12V will give more AH than two 12V batteries in parallel. If not already so, change all lighting to LED-type bulbs for the same amount of light and about 1/10 the power consumption.

two 6V batteries in series for 12V will give more AH than two 12V batteries
I am thinking that two batteries in series does not increase AH, only voltage, and parallel increases AH not voltage. Regardless, I'm hearing two good batteries should carry me overnight?

This might help you figure out how long your actual and hypothetical batteries will last. I do know that when it comes to residential refrigerators, posted & actual power usage varies and often by a very wide margin. To truly know what your refrigerator is using, you need a Kill-a-watt meter. I currently have a cheap 7.5cf Thompson refrigerator/freezer that is run solely by a cheap 2000 watt MSW inverter on two cheap DC27 marine batteries that are charged by a single cheap 100W solar panel. It will run overnight off the two cheap batteries... I will eventually add another pair of the same batteries and another cheap 100w solar panel for dark winter days. The panel has been bought for months. Just haven't wanted to climb up on top of the camp to install the panel and the extra pair of batteries.

With the responses so far, it sounds doable, But I think I will get a couple of 100 amp hour Lifepo4 batteries. So the next question is what brand? Battle Born or Ampere or whatever. Is 100 AH the same for all? I understand the temperature Sensor stuff, just wondering what your preferences are for brand.

With the responses so far, it sounds doable, But I think I will get a couple of 100 amp hour Lifepo4 batteries. So the next question is what brand? Battle Born or Ampere or whatever. Is 100 AH the same for all? I understand the temperature Sensor stuff, just wondering what your preferences are for brand.
That's like asking which truck you like the best. If I was going to pick I would go with Battle Born which may not be the cheapest or maybe even the best choice. What do see is very few people complaining about quality control or failures using them and worth something to me.

Latest resources

Back