Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Larry Woodward

RVF Regular
Have 2017 Newmar Dutch star. There are 8 house batteries and two chassis batteries. These all appear to be maintenance free. What is the anticipated life span and how do you check the condition?

Others can offer how they test them, I hope to get 5-7 years out of mine, longer would be better. Mine are lead acid and I use a flow rite battery watering system to easily maintain them. AGM you don't have this option.

The life span is a function of how well you take care of them. Not letting them get severely depleted frequently does help. Keeping the coach plugged in and charged or using AGS management when boondocking is good for long battery life. I had my house batteries “under load” tested last year and found two of them inadequate and needing to be replaced.

According to trojan batteries a cycle is 20% discharged. cycle life is listed on the battery, this can be anywhere between 360 cycles to 400 cycles. The shortest life for a battery is typically when the owner depends on a generator to maintain them. The reason for this is the number of hours it really takes to bring the battery from 80% to 100% charge at trickle charging(recommended). Most solar setups are not much more than trickle chargers, but you get a full day of charging without the noise, and without encouragement. I know that is more than you asked, but important info, if you want your batteries to last. If you take the 360 cycles as an example and deplete the charge to 80% daily you can expect 1 year out of your batteries.

That said do you full time or part time with your RV?

Most house batteries will last 5-7 years. If yours are maintenance free (sealed) then I would expect them to last longer than the kind you have to add water to. Just remember, most batteries recommend you do not run the battery below 50% charged. The more you do this, the faster you will kill the battery. Crystals start to form on the lead plates and make them resistant to taking a charge. Of course the new lithium ion batteries are totally different........:rolleyes:

I’m still running my 8 Interstate batteries, installed in 2014. Same with the chassis batteries. Have the watering system and do it about once a month.

The chassis batteries on my Spartan chassis looked like they were maintenance free batteries, but were not. Once you took the hold down bar off, the vent covers could be removed. Not sure what chassis you have, but I’d recommend taking a closer look to verify.

I just replaced my house batteries at 5 years. Two of the four were actually swollen from over heating. The service tech just laughed when he first looked at them.

The two chassis batteries tested fine under a load but I plan to replace them soon with AGM.

I just replaced my house batteries at 5 years. Two of the four were actually swollen from over heating. The service tech just laughed when he first looked at them.

The two chassis batteries tested fine under a load but I plan to replace them soon with AGM.

You need to make sure when you replace chassis batteries, they have the CCA required to start your diesel which is about twice what your car is. My chassis batteries are 1050 CCA and I have 2. I do not know if AGM is available with these specs.

I believe that AGM batteries, as well as the conventional lead acid batteries used as ‘House batteries’ are fundamentally different from chassis batteries. The house batteries are deep discharge batteries, designed to provide current over a long period of time. The chassis batteries that cars and RVs use are designed to put out the massive amounts of current— but only for a short time—needed to start an engine.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back