Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kathy

RVF Newbee
we are new to RV life and just bought a 2008 Holiday Rambler. After being at our home for 24 hours it wouldn’t start. We jumped it, ran it for quite a while and it has been plugged into the house electricity. Today (2 days later) the chassis batteries are again totally dead. House batteries seem fine. We haven’t left anything on. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you may need new batteries. Generally, lead-acid storage batteries of the type I would expect to find in a 2008 coach last about five years and then need to be replaced. Many times, a battery will have a sticker with punched-out date codes showing when it was purchased. You might check yours for such a sticker.

Batteries can also be "load-tested" with the right equipment. Many auto parts stores and repair shops have the equipment to do that. You might find such a shop and take the batteries in for testing. I will bet dollars to donuts that the batteries need replacing.

TJ

charge um up, disconnect one lead, give it a couple of days and check the batteries. If they are dead that is the problem. If on the other hand the batteries still have a good charge. see if when it is running disconnect the battery and see if the engine keeps running. If not look to the charge circuit.

Buy a couple batteries. The last thing you want while travelling is to worry about your batteries. Also, have your alternator checked to make sure it's charging the batteries properly.

I keep my batteries on charge every time we are parked. We use CTEK battery charger, because it doesn't over charge and also can recondition. Haven't replaced a battery yet.

Latest resources

Back