• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Desertrider

RVF Newbee
I have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro gas motorhome
When parked for a few weeks hooked up to shore power my chassis battery keeps going dead. How do I keep this from happening? I thought the house batteries would trikle charge the chassis battery when hooked to shore power. Please help.

If you have an inverter/charger, it sounds like the charger is not working. Check the output of the charger. Check at the batteries to see if it is geting a charging voltage (should be over 13v. Check voltage across the ressetabl fuse near the house batteries.

Oh, first make sure your battery disconnect is not engaged, although I assume not since you did not indicate that you had no lights inside.
Hope that helps.

Check the fuses in your converter.
There are three 25 amp fuses in mine and they are extremely finicky and will blow for what seems to be the slightest imperfection...
I keep about 50 of them on hand.

You might check the B.I.R.D. This manages the charge current to and from the chassis and house battery

The fuses on the charger are only for reverse polarization. They blow real quick if you touch the positive to the negative. Don't feel bad, I don't know what the bird is either. And I work on these things. You need to measure the voltage at the batteries. When on shore power your voltage should be above 13vdc. Higher and it is charging and lower it is not. Read this....https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/how-to-maintain-batteries/

So, just a thought…

In addition to the above items.

Do you have a disconnect for the chassis batteries in addition to one for the house?

Possible the chassis batteries are disconnected and not getting charged.

Different coach but we have a disconnect specific to the chassis batteries so thought I’d ask.

Here is a very generic schematic of a motorized RV charging circuit.
You will want to find yours in the User Manual.

Note the Isolator located between the Alternator/Chassis battery circuit and the Inverter/House Battery circuit.

This Isolator goes by several names, BIRD (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) or a BIM, (Battery Isolator Manager). Each has its own way of managing the charging circuit but serve the same function.

Not to be confusing but this can also be a Smart Battery Charger in the same location of the circuit instead of a BIRD or BIM.

Solenoid isolator.jpg

I have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro gas motorhome
When parked for a few weeks hooked up to shore power my chassis battery keeps going dead. How do I keep this from happening? I thought the house batteries would trikle charge the chassis battery when hooked to shore power. Please help.
I had the same problem years ago. I struggled to resolve it without taking it into the dealer and my solution was easy and relatively inexpensive. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08MK7P59V/?tag=rvf01-20

I have a 110 volt plug it right next to my battery box that it plugs into. It works well. I have not had a problem since.

Darrell

Latest resources

Back