Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Drew1979

RVF Newbee
Hello All, We bought a brand new travel trailer in November. We used it for a week in December and a week in April and we took it out over this past weekend for our third trip. I noticed on the first day that the breaker / fuse box fan was on (has never came on until this trip) several hours later I had a bad smell coming from the battery, the battery was hot and leaking. I disconnected he power and then the battery. I had the battery tested and it showed the battery was okay. The dealership cannot look at the trailer until July, has anyone else had a similar issue?

The fuse box fan is your power center fan which keeps it cool. It is a battery charger among other things. With out testing with a volt meter sounds like it was over charging your battery and it was cooking the battery as we call it. boiling off the water which could have been to high to start with, should be 1/4 inch above plates. Smells like sulfur when its gassing off. Call the power center manufacturer with M/N and S/N and see what's the high voltage it should be putting out them hold your volt meter on battery while charging and see if its putting out to much voltage to the battery. It may blow up at any time if it is over charging with a very high voltage. Do not spark anything around battery gasses. Do not leave it plugged in very long, just to test.

The fuse box fan is your power center fan which keeps it cool. It is a battery charger among other things. With out testing with a volt meter sounds like it was over charging your battery and it was cooking the battery as we call it. boiling off the water which could have been to high to start with, should be 1/4 inch above plates. Smells like sulfur when its gassing off. Call the power center manufacturer with M/N and S/N and see what's the high voltage it should be putting out them hold your volt meter on battery while charging and see if its putting out to much voltage to the battery. It may blow up at any time if it is over charging with a very high voltage. Do not spark anything around battery gasses. Do not leave it plugged in very long, just to test.
Thank you for the information. The dealer is going to give me a new battery. I am going to check all fuses and the grounds in hopes that the battery is the issue, I do have my doubts because we used the trailer for a week in April without issue, nothing has changed since then other than the location we camped at. Do you think the problem could be the power we were plugged into at the camp site?

Latest resources

Back