Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Battery tray liner trimmed to fit batteries - allows leakage - How to correct?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BretChilcott

RVF Newbee
We recently acquired a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 41' from an individual who purchased it new. Overall it has been very well maintained. However I am correcting some corrosion found in the battery bay. The side of the plastic containment tray was trimmed at one time which now allows spillage to leak into the compartment. I want to find a new tray so that there is no opening thus containing any spillage.

It appears that the plastic tray liner was cut to remove one side to accommodate the physical size of the Duracell GC2 batteries.

Have any of you seen this problem before? If so, how did you resolve it? Options to correct as I see it:
  • Replace the batteries with small physical sized batteries
  • Fabricate or source a plastic liner that is made from thinner than the liner from Tiffin that is 1/8" thick: Tiffin battery drawer liner
Are than any other option?

I have attached some photographs for details.
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1509.jpeg

Well I'm glad you asked for suggestions, rather than answers!

Personally I would coat the parts with PU bed liner paint. I like the idea that the tray will drain.

I would look into AGM replacement batteries to get rid of the acidic environment.

Well I'm glad you asked for suggestions, rather than answers!

Personally I would coat the parts with PU bed liner paint. I like the idea that the tray will drain.

I would look into AGM replacement batteries to get rid of the acidic environment.
Kevin - Thank you for your prompt response. Regarding AGM batteries - what is the preferred make and model of AGM batteries? Also, is there any hardware electronic hardware (charger, monitors etc) that would need to changed when switching to AGM batteries?

Thanks!
Bret C

Kevin - Thank you for your prompt response. Regarding AGM batteries - what is the preferred make and model of AGM batteries? Also, is there any hardware electronic hardware (charger, monitors etc) that would need to changed when switching to AGM batteries?

Thanks!
Bret C
AGM batteries should never be equalized! Varify max voltage stated in battery information will not be exceeded.

A friend uses renoligy hybrid batteries with great luck. Probably spelled that wrong.

I recommend Northstar Blue+ batteries,that is what I use. They don't have a standard form factor,so you would need to varify they would fit! I like them because of their very long cycle life. Mine are in the house because they won't fit in the battery compartment (to tall).

Agree with Neal on coating tray and getting AGM batteries. I have V-Max now for three years and they have been great

Ouch!!! Don't insult Neal!
You know KEvin I think I had a senior moment there and typed Neal instead of Kevin. My bad. Hope you both accept my apologies and correction, Y'All Have a Great Day!!

Latest resources

Back