RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
JayFlight SLX 8 212QBW
RV Length
21 ft
Fulltimer
No
Thanks to those who responded we were able to winterize fairly easily by ourselves! I worried more than was needed, of course.
One last battery question. We have put Arvie away for the winter in a heated area. If I leave the batteries plugged in til February-ish, is that a problem? Should I flip any switches inside? Mainly trying not to remove the batteries. Thanks!

It could be. Remember, your propane/CO detector is still drawing power, there's still power available to your tank sensor array, the furnace and water heater, etc. One failure anywhere and you could find a badly discharged and damaged battery later. I suggest disconnecting either the positive or negative terminal at the battery. Leave the batts in place, just ensure there's no chance of drainage.

Roger

It could be. Remember, your propane/CO detector is still drawing power, there's still power available to your tank sensor array, the furnace and water heater, etc. One failure anywhere and you could find a badly discharged and damaged battery later. I suggest disconnecting either the positive or negative terminal at the battery. Leave the batts in place, just ensure there's no chance of drainage.

Roger
That is helpful. Thank you!

If my travel trailer has a solar panel, do I still need to disconnect the batteries, or is the power coming in going to keep the battery topped off?

It might. Could depend on where in the world you are. Enough snow, and the panels aren't producing anything.

Roger

It might. Could depend on where in the world you are. Enough snow, and the panels aren't producing anything.

Roger

I’m in Colorado. Snow doesn’t usual stick around for more than a few days. We get a few mornings each winter with temps below 0F, but usually it’s not too much below freezing.

Then, if the snow doesn't stay long, your risk is diminished. The worst that can happen is your battery(s) die, and you're forced to upgrade to a better power system.

Then, if the snow doesn't stay long, your risk is diminished. The worst that can happen is your battery(s) die, and you're forced to upgrade to a better power system.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I’ll just leave it and monitor the battery throughout the winter.

My neighbor suggested pulling the batteries, but his trailer doesn’t have the solar panels. Seems like I should be okay. We get a lot of sunshine here even in winter.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I’ll just leave it and monitor the battery throughout the winter.
My neighbor suggested pulling the batteries, but his trailer doesn’t have the solar panels. Seems like I should be okay. We get a lot of sunshine here even in winter.
Then this sounds like an excellent opportunity for you and he to compare notes next spring, and sell him on the idea of adding solar to his. It'll also open up camping possibilities for him, and allow him to boondock a bit more.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Latest resources

Back