Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I happened to come across this accident that occurred at 2pm on Interstate 5 heading north last weekend as I was going southbound near firebaugh, CA. Unfortunately, the driver of the truck plowed into traffic heading north and then jackknifed. It's very important to have a lot of distance between RV'ers, trucks, and passenger vehicles. The more space the better and be aware of stopped traffic way ahead of you so you have time to react.

1656889576783.png

Firebaugh, CA — June 25, 2022, a woman was fatally injured after a tractor-trailer plowed into stopped traffic on Interstate 5 in Firebaugh.

According to reports the incident happened shortly before 2:15 p.m. on I-5 near the Nees Avenue exit. Preliminary investigation suggests a Freightliner 18-wheeler was northbound on the highway when the driver allegedly failed to see slowed traffic ahead. The driver didn't brake in time and the truck crashed into four vehicles before overturning.

The first vehicle the truck hit was a Nissan Murano. The victim, riding in the right rear passenger seat of the Nissan, was pronounced dead at the scene. Other involved parties reportedly received minor injuries.

The investigation continues. No further information is available at this time.

I try to leave some "stopping room" in fron of me as much as possible. But everytime I do some idiot whips into the spot like I was saving it for them. It's almost impossible.

At the beginning I really disliked the collision mitigation system in my coach. Then @NWIP explained it to me and now I like it. When I see a tragic story such as this, I am now grateful for it.

We're going I-5 north next week...for me it's a mental battle as everyone goes 70+ (mostly plus). I enjoy 62 mph. I'll go 65 if necessary to stay in traffic flow. So thanks for the reminder...(bad) stuff happens on the roads, so be alert and drive carefully.

It's very important to have a lot of distance between RV'ers, trucks, and passenger vehicles.
Wow, how horrible.

I try to keep space between myself and the guy up ahead, and on the open road it's easy enough. But going through Atlanta, leaving space between you and the vehicle ahead, only signals that there is a space for someone else to dive into.

And NOBODY is driving under 75-80, except me. And then I become the dangerous driver by default. Frustrating to say the least. And a bit scary as well.

Driving these things is like driving a race car. Extreme vigilance is necessary. Any fatigue is dangerous. One has to be 100% alert at all times, and thinking for both you and those around you, at the same time. Driving in city traffic will try ones nerves.

Be careful everyone.

Oh, and I still hate vehicles that make decisions for me. The reason I drive is to be in control of the vehicle and constantly improve my skills as a driver.

Oh, and I still hate vehicles that make decisions for me
The collision mitigation system doesn't make any decisions for you. It will, however, set off an annoying alarm if you are driving faster than the person in front of you within a certain distance which you set. I really like being able to see how many feet ahead the driver ahead is and what speed they are going. It gives me the heads up to slow down or change lanes, etc.

Latest resources

Back