Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Internet speed tests drive me absolutely crazy! I don't know what to believe. @redbaron suggested fast.com but those speed tests are typically 1/2 to 1/3rd what I'm seeing on other speed test sites or the Ookla speedtest app I use on Windows, macOS, and mobile.

What are you using and what is your experience for speed testing?

I use the app mentioned above as well as the link below:

I use the Speedtest app. Occasionally others. It’s all relative guidance I figure.

I live 20 miles from Google headquarters and have a Google router. Every time I check Internet speed through their system it says my connection is blazing fast....go figure.

I use the Ookla speedtest app

Ookla as well.

My $0.02 worth. In my opinion, speed tests are a relative measurement which reflect capability as opposed to reality.
With my Peplink device I go to the Status screen & look at the Real Time usage. It is never anywhere near the speeds reflected with speed tests. For us Windows users, the Performance tab of Task Manger has an Ethernet tab which reflects transmission data. That too is never anywhere near the speeds reflected with speed tests. However, I do believe both are an actual representation of how fast data is coming in & going out over a particular connection.
There are just too many factors impacting the responsiveness of an internet connection to assume the actual speed you see will be close to what you see on a 'speed test'. If the internet connection is performing at an acceptable level for the tasks at hand, life is good.
I have found that if I am experiencing slower speeds than normal (what is normal/acceptable?), pinging or doing a tracert on the site will usually reveal a 'cause'.

If the stream jurks it's to slow and I find something else to do, I have to many projects to get done.

@redbaron suggested fast.com but those speed tests are typically 1/2 to 1/3rd what I'm seeing on other speed test sites

There's a reason for that. Fast.com simulates the effective speed for streaming video. It always yields a lower number than the other major testing sites. Personally, the test I prefer is Speed of Me

The most common method to test internet speed is using online platforms like ptcl speed test and Google's built-in test. These tools measure download, upload speeds, and ping. Select a nearby server, close other applications, and consider wired and wireless connections for accurate results, keeping in mind real-world variations.

Learned by experience...and a$$-kicking along the way:

• I always use SPEEDTEST.
  • Wireless connections have a huge variance during tests.
  • For the most consistent, a direct connection to the Router is necessary.

Latest resources

Back