Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DMan1717

RVF Regular
We have a 2021 Cedar Creek 311RL fifth wheel and have this experience which should be alarming to anyone who has something similar. My wife was closing up our RV when the wind started to blow. She was reaching inside the storage bin when the door held in place by magnets came slamming down right on her head. That heavy door cut her scalp and it bled. That heavy door really smacked her head.

I wrote to the company Forest River and asked for 2 additional magnets in hopes they would make the door more secure. As you would know it was important to have magnets exactly the same thickness in order to be sure all 4 hold at the same time. I offered to pay for them and to my chagrin they showed me a picture and the cost ($7.60). Albeit not a lot of money, but surprised they would not just give them to me in hopes i don't sue them for negligence and pain & suffering. I truly believe they are liable for not making the heavy storage door fastened more securely? Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting. My new fiver has two outside compartment doors that are secured by such magnets. I think it is a stupid design and certainly do not trust it. I have it on my future "to do" list to investigate changing both doors over to dual door shocks so I don't have to use the magnets.

My puma has handy little latches. Hope your dw feels better soon. I've brained myself on the cabinets above the bed a few times. Sucks.

We have a 2021 Cedar Creek 311RL fifth wheel and have this experience which should be alarming to anyone who has something similar. My wife was closing up our RV when the wind started to blow. She was reaching inside the storage bin when the door held in place by magnets came slamming down right on her head. That heavy door cut her scalp and it bled. That heavy door really smacked her head.

I wrote to the company Forest River and asked for 2 additional magnets in hopes they would make the door more secure. As you would know it was important to have magnets exactly the same thickness in order to be sure all 4 hold at the same time. I offered to pay for them and to my chagrin they showed me a picture and the cost ($7.60). Albeit not a lot of money, but surprised they would not just give them to me in hopes i don't sue them for negligence and pain & suffering. I truly believe they are liable for not making the heavy storage door fastened more securely? Any thoughts?
Go for it!!!

I was wondering about the magnet holders as well as the Nobo has them too. Is it possible to switch to a metal hold back? Or like the other person suggested struts?

Our older Cedar Creek has a latch to hold the door open...it doesn't look all that secure either besides it's too high up for me to reach. Hubby says the shocks won't work (didn't ask why) but I need to find a way to hold the door open safely especially since we plan on putting a mini-fridge in the compartment. Wonder why Forest River didn't make the hatches side opening?

Amish repair added struts on mine.

Latest resources

Back