Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

d-dawg2008

RVF Newbee
Hey all. Thanks in advance for any insight. I'll get to it.
We want to travel anywhere that's drivable over the course of months-1 year.

We are a family of 5, kids are young enough that yanking out of their pretty rigorous private school and doing our best to homeschool/learn about the world doesn't seem like too much of a problem. We (mom and dad) value education, so that's mama's biggest concern, the reality is I'm sure it will be fine.

I don't like being without, I intend to travel with everything, and still I'll feel limited. We're talking the rv, stacker trailer with get around car, rzr, tools, trailer Caddy, decoys, bikes, paddleboards, all seasons worth of clothing, etc. Having the trailer will be a huge help as it allows all the necessities and more.

We have experience, but only locally, some.week long cross country trips (mainly from home in Colorado to Southern california) where it's all wide open interstate.

I intend to purchase a large 40-45 class a, high horsepower, unit. I'd prefer a class a over super c but could be reasoned otherwise. As is, if I can find a unit with a 20k hitch and close to 600 hp that would be ideal, class a rvs just seem bigger, better visibility for passengers, etc. But then I think spur of the moment maintenance and repairs are harder.

Anyway, all of the above I am open to insight, but those are the plans. My questions is.....how feasible is this. I'm used to big fast roads, I also think there's not many places in the country a tractor trailer doesn't fit so what's the big deal. I know everyday things will be challenging, fuel stops anywhere other than truck stops. Grocery stores even. Basically any stop. Stopping and camping will be challenging due to the space requirement, 70' total. Booking in advance ties you down months in advance which is definitely not ideal.

How much of the country is compact? I see posts that say for example Banff is basically not doable in something big. I have the dart around mobile. I can drive here and there once a temp home is set up.

We want to visit as much as possible, likely a lot of coast line, redwoods, northern rockies, appalaichans, east coast, Florida etc.

Maybe I'm foolish thinking my glimpse of big rv and trailer from Colorado to Glamis is as bad as it gets. Which was honestly cake. 80-85 the whole way, tons of truck stops, tons of rest areas, tons of camp spots.

Thanks
Dustin

Sounds like you've got the confidence and enthusiasm you'll need. Moving around a lot, especially with all your stuff and younger kids, will probably get old. Be deliberate in where you stay so you can do those day trips. Longer stays will probably mean more planning though.
As a general rule, you'll find infrastructure in the eastern half of the country to be tighter. Get a rv GPS to help with those weight limited bridges and low overpasses.
Plenty of blogs and youtube channels available for additional insights.
Wish you the best on your adventure.

I think with your get around car, you'll be fine as long as it's something your whole family can comfortably do day trips in. You may end up parking your trailer in the overflow lot at some campgrounds, which shouldn't be a big deal.

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any insight. I'll get to it.
We want to travel anywhere that's drivable over the course of months-1 year.

We are a family of 5, kids are young enough that yanking out of their pretty rigorous private school and doing our best to homeschool/learn about the world doesn't seem like too much of a problem. We (mom and dad) value education, so that's mama's biggest concern, the reality is I'm sure it will be fine.

I don't like being without, I intend to travel with everything, and still I'll feel limited. We're talking the rv, stacker trailer with get around car, rzr, tools, trailer Caddy, decoys, bikes, paddleboards, all seasons worth of clothing, etc. Having the trailer will be a huge help as it allows all the necessities and more.

We have experience, but only locally, some.week long cross country trips (mainly from home in Colorado to Southern california) where it's all wide open interstate.

I intend to purchase a large 40-45 class a, high horsepower, unit. I'd prefer a class a over super c but could be reasoned otherwise. As is, if I can find a unit with a 20k hitch and close to 600 hp that would be ideal, class a rvs just seem bigger, better visibility for passengers, etc. But then I think spur of the moment maintenance and repairs are harder.

Anyway, all of the above I am open to insight, but those are the plans. My questions is.....how feasible is this. I'm used to big fast roads, I also think there's not many places in the country a tractor trailer doesn't fit so what's the big deal. I know everyday things will be challenging, fuel stops anywhere other than truck stops. Grocery stores even. Basically any stop. Stopping and camping will be challenging due to the space requirement, 70' total. Booking in advance ties you down months in advance which is definitely not ideal.

How much of the country is compact? I see posts that say for example Banff is basically not doable in something big. I have the dart around mobile. I can drive here and there once a temp home is set up.

We want to visit as much as possible, likely a lot of coast line, redwoods, northern rockies, appalaichans, east coast, Florida etc.

Maybe I'm foolish thinking my glimpse of big rv and trailer from Colorado to Glamis is as bad as it gets. Which was honestly cake. 80-85 the whole way, tons of truck stops, tons of rest areas, tons of camp spots.

Thanks
Dustin
We have just recently completed our travels down the east coast from the Canadian Maritimes all the way to Florida. Our rig is by no means anywhere near the size you are contemplating but during our travels we have seen a number of rigs that span eighty feet making the journey. Granted, you will be limited in where you can park your rig, but there are RV parks that will be able to accommodate you. You will just have to do your homework. Just an FYI. Do you want to do New York City? There is a park in New Jersey with in view of Lady Liberty and a short subway ride to Times Square that will accommodate you. Home - Liberty Harbor RV Park Big Rig friendly route all the way there. Just follow the directions listed on their web site. You mention Banff not being doable in a Big Rig. Not so. https://www.banfflakelouise.com/business/tunnel-mountain-trailer-court Getting a reservation there is the big challenge and then getting around in a car is very problematic. Using the shuttle bus system is the suggested option. There are places that you will find challenging but if you do your homework and read reviews on parks you plan to use you should not have many problems. FYI just because a park may advertise being big rig friendly doesn't mean they really are. Check out Good Sam reviews, Campendium (they have a good listing of boondocking), RV Life Camping Reviews. As Mrssquid suggested, get a good RV GPS, Use Google Earth and Google Maps to help plan your route. There are a number of Travel planning aps out there for you to check out. Make sure you have "your own" Internet source. Most RV Parks have poor service. I think educating your children "on the road" is a great idea.

Good luck

Darrell

Stay legal for homeschooling in your home state (HSLDA - Making homeschooling possible). Other than that, anything is possible.

I personally would lean towards a used bunkhouse fifth wheel and a used toter RV (plenty of room for everyone to ride plus an onboard bathroom). The problem with a motorized RV (A, B or C) is if the motor part needs to be put into the shop, the living part is also in the shop.

Homeschooling is fairly easy and has gotten easier since I homeschooled my kids. We "unschooled".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back