Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No

Thanks for sharing Joe. What was the Centramatics cost installed if you don't mind sharing?

I purchased them through Centramatic, the manufacturer. Consequently, paid retail, approximated $225 per axle set, ~$450 total. Installation depends on your shop. It is hard work and might take an hour or so. In my case I had each tire removed, rotated to a new wheel position and balanced then an alignment. It took the better part of a day when all said and done.
Some truckers only put them on the steer axle to reduce felt vibration/shake. For my purposes I wanted to reduce as much vibration as possible for ride quality and reduce suspension wear due to vibration.

Drove on the highway today. All I can say is WOW. What a nice ride. Centramatics made a huge difference in ride quality. I did not think the ride was bad in any way before but this was a very noticeable improvement. Money well spent.

Can you elaborate on your perceptions of what improved, @JoeHogan? I’m thinking about them but a bit on the fence as I don’t really understand the benefits of them that well.

After today's ride I noticed that what I was attributing to road surface vibration is now completely gone. There is no vibration in the steering wheel at all. This should extend my "comfortable" daily distance considerably.
The little harmonic rattles and buzzes that happened due to changes in road surface are now gone. The ride is very relaxing. Money well spent.

Thanks for sharing.

I have no experience on the centramatics but it sounds like a bandaid to a problem. I suffered a lot of tire vibration and had FL spend a lot of time on them getting them right including replacing two tires Michelin warrantied due to balance issues. Just like our auto tires these tires need to be balanced. I'm not sure why RV companies think you can just slap these big tires on a rig and think all is going to be okay. A lot of effort was spent on checking runouts and balancing. My ride is now amazing but I didn't give up the fight until it was right. So I suggest to improve your ride simply get your tires balanced and then go from there. Runouts (round) is important too but balance first.

I have no experience on the centramatics but it sounds like a bandaid to a problem. I suffered a lot of tire vibration and had FL spend a lot of time on them getting them right including replacing two tires Michelin warrantied due to balance issues. Just like our auto tires these tires need to be balanced. I'm not sure why RV companies think you can just slap these big tires on a rig and think all is going to be okay. A lot of effort was spent on checking runouts and balancing. My ride is now amazing but I didn't give up the fight until it was right. So I suggest to improve your ride simply get your tires balanced and then go from there. Runouts (round) is important too but balance first.
@Neal the Centramatic is just another form of wheel balancing. The nice thing is when you get a tire balanced it is to a set speed. These type adjust automatically.

Neal, in my case, the wheel balance was not a big problem. My goal is refinement of the ride quality and preservation of suspension components as I am particular about vibration while driving and alignment for that matter.
In my opinion manufacturers have to get most things good enough while being price competitive. That does mean that sometimes "crap" gets through QC. You as an owner need to be satisfied (and educated enough) with the outcome or go back to the manufacturer, as you did, to make it Right.
If you think about all the parts spinning in a wheel assembly, add very heavy wheels and tires, getting it right is hard.
During this tire/wheel service the wheels/tires were balanced separately before installation with the Centramatics.
Yes I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
The tires were rotated only because they are at half life (time wise) and they were off the RV anyway. (belt and suspenders).

Looking forward to some camping this winter....:)

Latest resources

Back