Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Anon_Tech

RVF Regular
I'm an RV service technician, I won't say where because I'm making these posts on my own and am not representing them in anyway.

I've discovered a very serious electrical issue in quite a few Black Series units. No link between models or years, I've seen them in '19, '20, '21, and 2022, and models like HQ15, HQ17, HQ19, and HQ21's.

All of the unit's I've looked at have main AC distribution panels that are wildly out of code and extremely dangerous. Most of them have the wires entering loosely through a roughly cut hole in the box, with the wires rubbing the metal and damaging the insulation. I've seen some with breakers rated for more than triple what the trailer is rated for. Some don't have proper ground bars or lugs. Some even have nonsensical and dangerous connections in the box. I could get picky with NEC and find a good dozen violations in them.

All of the issues I have found are extremely dangerous. I've seen ground wires melting, main supply wires with damaged insulation and exposed conductors, loose wires, outlets with no boxes, and plenty of other things.

These all pose a very serious risk of fire, and could easily cause damage, injury, or death. The manufacturer has been made aware of these issues but is doing nothing to alert customers of the danger here. I've filed a few individual complaints with the NHTSA, but it will take more than a handful of complaints for them to investigate the matter.

If these problems are as widespread as they appear then a national recall needs to be issued. I'd like to ask all owners to inspect their units. With the trailer unplugged from shore power, you can remove the 2 or 4 screws securing the cover to the breaker box. If you see these issues please post photos here along with the trailer VIN. I'd also strongly suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA, and contact Black Series about these issues.

I've attached a few photos of the problems, and will be cross posting this on multiple forums. Here is a link to file an NHTSA complaint.

Attachments

• 20220203_102438.jpg
    20220203_102438.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • 20220211_153950.jpg
    20220211_153950.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • 20220228_155632.jpg
    20220228_155632.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • 20220131_101936.jpg
    20220131_101936.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • 20220131_102122.jpg
    20220131_102122.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220128_165548.jpg
    20220128_165548.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
Oddly enough, it seems my post on the iRV2 forums was flagged for administrator review. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with the fact they are sponsored by Black Series.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 23
Oddly enough, it seems my post on the iRV2 forums was flagged for administrator review. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with the fact they are sponsored by Black Series.

iRV2 is controlled by radical admins. They censor as bad as some foreign countries. Many of us here have had problems with them and gave up on the site. Thanks for the heads up on the electrical issue.

Nice report and a very good service to unsuspecting owners. I bought a new 50’ sailboat in 2002 for $345,000 and even it had issues like this in the air conditioning unit wiring. It was a dealer installed option and they just bored through fiberglass and ran wiring through the rough openings. It took about two years for the issue to manifest itself and I was lucky I was awake and below when it started burning. So, not something to take lightly.

I usually go to Camp Addict for “who owns what” questions and answers ( The Best RV Brands You Can Buy - Camp Addict ) but Black Series hasn't made their lists. So I started poking around and found this:
Something to think about…..

Nice report and a very good service to unsuspecting owners. I bought a new 50’ sailboat in 2002 for $345,000 and even it had issues like this in the air conditioning unit wiring. It was a dealer installed option and they just bored through fiberglass and ran wiring through the rough openings. It took about two years for the issue to manifest itself and I was lucky I was awake and below when it started burning. So, not something to take lightly.

I usually go to Camp Addict for “who owns what” questions and answers ( The Best RV Brands You Can Buy - Camp Addict ) but Black Series hasn't made their lists. So I started poking around and found this:
Something to think about…..
I can confirm they are 95% built in China. They arrive in California via ship nearly complete, then a few final things are installed before they are shipped to dealers. I actually found a handmade tool inside of a wall in an HQ19.

I am trying to keep myself anonymous, so I am avoiding any social media. I would really appreciate it if any of ya'll would be willing to post this in any RV/camping groups on Facebook or the like.

Here is another unit I found this week.

Attachments

• b9b7acc3-54a6-47fa-adca-f53adcdb6f59.jpeg
    b9b7acc3-54a6-47fa-adca-f53adcdb6f59.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 43d7df36-0b51-4541-987e-ef6cd5947dc0.jpeg
    43d7df36-0b51-4541-987e-ef6cd5947dc0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • a4d0a591-2f5c-41a5-be95-ce3862070065.jpeg
    a4d0a591-2f5c-41a5-be95-ce3862070065.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Is there "code" that governs RV's / motorhomes?
If a manufacturer wants to be able to put an RVIA sticker on their units then they must follow RVIA code. All RV's and motorhomes are required to meet NEC guidelines, article 551 specifically deals with this.

Is there a way of reporting code violations so a company or contractor can be investigated? It would probably serve better than forum posts in an effort to correct something found done wrong.

These do count as vehicles, so the best way to report them is through the NHTSA. I provided a link to do so in the original post. I've been talking to them and trying to get them more information to start investigating.

Latest resources

Back