Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
In route to a new CG today and MapWife told me that the black tank was falsely claiming it was full, I knew it wasnt because I’d emptied it and rinsed it before it we left. Anyway, whenever this happens I usually give it a good rinse and that solves the problem so I told her I’d do that when we got to the CG.

Got there, started hooking up and connected the rinse hose on, then turned on the spigot. I have a small inline water meter so that I can watch how much water has gone into the tank. Usually I fill it to 40 gallons and dump, then once again. Anyway, while I’m hiking up sewer and water, MapWife is deploying the slides and jacks. She calls me over after deploying the slides and tells me the jacks won’t deploy. I walk inside and see that a Low Voltage light is illuminated on the control
panel. So now it’s time to troubleshoot this. While I’m looking through the literature, a few moments later I hear MapWife scream followed by the sound of running water. Immediately I know. I dash outside, cut the water and pull the blank tank gate. Come back inside and ask her how bad it is, and it basically looks like someone spilled a gallon jug of water on the floor. But it doesn’t smell - at all. I ask her where the water was coming from and she tells me the half bath sink drain. So now I am super confused. How would overfilling the blank tank result in water coming up the drain of the half bath sink, which should be plumbed to the gray tank.

we cleaned it all up. Nothing smelled like sewage or black tank, or even grey for that matter. It smelled...clean. We sanitized anyways to be safe but I still don’t understand why water came from where it came and also why it seems to have been clean water.

The only thing I can imagine is that maybe there is a pressure valve that redirects the tank rinse line if the tank pressure i reaches a certain level?

Wow Mapnerd Mapwife is a hero today.
Hopefully you are on the way to somewhere to buy a dozen roses a box of chocolates and her favorite wine.

Have you learned now to respect the pineapple gods PiPowPooPoo?

Yes, @Neal we wiped up the floor with a pineapple pizza.

i wonder if the half bath sink is piped to the black tank because the black tank location blocks the ability to route to the gray? I guess you could dump both tanks and then run several gallons down the sink and then see which tank drains

Nah. My guess is they share a common vent to the roof. The black probably went up the vent and then backflowed into the gray drains.

Nah. My guess is they share a common vent to the roof. The black probably went up the vent and then backflowed into the gray drains.

If that were the case it would have went straight into the gray tank from the vent rather than coming out the sink.

If that were the case it would have went straight into the gray tank from the vent rather than coming out the sink.

Normally, I’d say, “yeah, true”...but we have to remind ourselves...this is an RV, where EVERYTHING is possible. Ugh.

Rule #1, I NEVER leave the wet bay when the rinse connection is being used, never.

Latest resources

Back