Chassis
Sparten
Engine
450 cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I'm plugged into shore power, I assume all I need to do is flip the switch in the OH cabinet to turn it on, should I leave it on all the time?

I've used my block heater a few times. Once while in South Dakota when it was below 30 degrees and was staying that cold for a week. I turned it on for about 2 days before leaving to make sure the oil was warm and wouldn't take so long for the engine to get to operating temperature. I'm not a fan of starting an engine with oil temperature around 30 degrees even though it synthetic oil.

so, my question was, do I leave it on all the time

Just looked at some 2023 DS control panel pics and saw the block heater switch. I would only turn it on when needed.

Not only is there a switch in the overhead but also a plug in the engine compartment. I don’t leave mine plugged in and sometimes use the 110v outlet for other things, ie vacuum for cleaning out the truck.

At Spartan academy recommendation was below 40* to use and turn it on 12-24 hrs prior to engine start.

The answer for me in no. Why add heat to the oil when it's above 60 degrees outside? Will it hurt the oil no. But if I was staying somewhere and the temperature was going to be below 40 degrees I would have it on for as long as needed. I left mine on while traveling to a warmer area. I wouldn't turn it off until I relocated in an area where the temperature was going to stay above 40 degrees. Per my discussion with Freightliner 24/7 it will never get too hot

No need for it beyond startup.

I'm plugged into shore power, I assume all I need to do is flip the switch in the OH cabinet to turn it on, should I leave it on all the time?
In addition to the switch and the plug in the engine compartment, you also have a breaker that has to be turned on. Our Newmar tech told me to leave it turned on any time the temps were at 40 or below.

In addition to the switch and the plug in the engine compartment, you also have a breaker that has to be turned on. Our Newmar tech told me to leave it turned on any time the temps were at 40 or below.
That seems kinda redundant, plugged into shore power and plugging in the engine block? Salesman (I know, salesman) said I didn't need to do anything but hit the switch on shore power, boondocking use the genny, he didn't show me a engine plug in, I will have to look for it when it gets a little warmer, not going anywhere soon, its below 20f today and windy, brrrr. Should be 40's by Wednesday

Ok I’ll chime back in here. The switch in the overhead is relatively new adddition to the system (around 2020?). In older coaches we just have a breaker and the plug so we leave it unplugged because turning off the breaker causes other problems with line 2 (precision circuits display) related to how things are wired in the breaker box (don’t recall the exact reason, but the pic shows what happens).

So sometime around 2020 they added the switch (second pic) allowing you to leave it plugged in, breaker on, and still have the block heater off, and then turn it on easily as necessary. This makes sense, is an improvement, answers the OP’s question, and agrees with all of the above: turn it on when needed, off the rest of the time. And those with newer coaches can do this with the switch, rather than unplugging it since the breakers should be left on.

Until I discovered the ”new” switch, I also though the OP might have had the optional Oasis Engine Pre-heat since he describes the switch as residing in the overhead cab (third pic just for fun). Anyway this discussion has come full circle this morning and since I plugged mine in last nignt and recorded the temp, I’ll go out and check it now to see what it has accomplished.
FEF6AE26-6D0D-4F9C-AA9A-19F93BFEAB01.jpeg
BB2046F4-2BB0-49A5-8EE8-4AA696BA452C.jpeg
269C21B2-36B3-415E-8002-912E8349DC3F.jpeg

Latest resources

Back