JayFlight
RV Length
Chassis
IDK
TOW/TOAD
?
Fulltimer
No
Sorry if this is a repeat I just joined and lost my previous post so here we go… my problem is that I have completely shut my camper down and I do not want the heater to be on so my issue isn’t that it is blowing cold air instead of hot. My issue is that it’s even blowing in the first place!
I unhooked the propane and the electrical source last week and went in there today to finish closing it up for the winter. and although the heat switch is off I can hear a very faint sound as if the motor is running and feel a slight blowing of cold air. Almost like if a window was cracked open. I wondered for a minute since it is windy outside if it was just blowing a breeze in from outside but for one) I’m doubting that should even happen, and for two) I can hear a faint sound of some thing running but it is not to the extent as if I had the heater actually on and blowing. 3) Something has ran the battery down as well because the lights won’t come on, unless batteries automatically goes dead just sitting there for a week doing nothing.
No power, heater off, but still slightly humming and blowing cold air!

Well, if you have shore power disconnected, and the battery disconnected, then nothing electrical can be operational.
Might you have a solar panel that can be providing power?

Roger

Well, if you have shore power disconnected, and the battery disconnected, then nothing electrical can be operational.
Might you have a solar panel that can be providing power?

Roger

Ok. Update. There was still a slight bit of power from the battery. When I unhooked it, blower stopped. When I hooked it back up plus to the electric cord, it was blowing full on. Heat Switch on and off, still blowing PLUS no heat. Like two problems in one. Won’t heat. Won’t quit blowing. I tried the reset switch in addition to hitting the circuit breaker off to do a full reset. Still the same.

OK......I have a similar issue. The thermostat is a rather simple and low-cost one, and there's really no off switch in it. It has the detented position, and feels like it "turns off", but nothing electrical actually gets disconnected. Once the temp drops low enough, the bimetal spring in it actually closes the contacts and fires up the fan. I obviously get no flame, as the propane is turned off at the tank(s).
I might suggest you pull the cover off your thermostat and look at it close to prove or disprove my assumption.

What most likely happened is that the thermostat did what I suspect, and ran the battery dangerously low, thus the blower barely running, until you plugged shore power back in.

BTW; If you're putting yours up for the winter, I'd pull the battery(s) and stick them in the basement of your house, or somewhere where they'll be warmer than outside temps, with a battery maintainer hooked up the it/them. I see you're in Michigan, so you're probably seeing the 30-40 degree temps we've seen in Iowa for the last few days. (P.S......it got into the high 60's today.)

Roger

I think you are right. I mean, it’s crap off before but then again, it was in the 50’s. Although, it wasn’t heating. Maybe with all my monkeying around I didn’t give it time but IDK. Is there a fix? New thermostats maybe? And I feel REALLY dumb asking this but I’m not sure where the heat source comes from. Like if it’s electric or propane. I really have the feeling this is something super simple and I’m gonna pay hundreds of dollars bring it in and feel like an idiot.

It's not likely to be electric. If it was, you'd have a larger requirement for power than 30 amps. It's quite probably a propane furnace, with 12vdc control power. It works normally when you're plugged in to shore power because there's a converter that turns 120 into 12 vdc, and keeps your house battery charged.
I'd hit up a local RV supply shop and see if you can get a thermostat with a built-in on/off switch.

Have you taken the cover off the thermostat to confirm my suspicions? I tested mine by removing it from the camper and sticking it in my residential freezer.

Roger

Unless you have a park model, your furnace only uses 12vdc to operate. If the fan stays on without a call for heat, it is miswired from the Tstat or the board is bad. I suppose the Tstat could be bad as well. You likely have ruined the battery discharging it that low. Put a battery disconnect switch inline and get the problem sorted out with the furnace.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back