RV Model
36 Mobile Suites
RV Length
38'4"
TOW/TOAD
Ford F350
Fulltimer
Yes
My name is Chris Ogden and I'm a complete newbie full timer. I'll be staying in Camp Verde for the next month and from there I'm not sure but north to Utah, CO, WY?? I'm wondering, when traveling to a destination more than a day's drive away, where does one spend the night(s). Finding available RV parks seems to be fairly time consuming activity and I can 't imagine trying to arrange one for every night of a long journey. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Finding a place to stay for a night is not that much effort, just have to have some tools. You could use a route planning tool that has CGs in it. Other options are walmart, cabelas, bass pro, etc

Welcome Chris. Looks like from your information you are a full timer in a large fiver. Based on that info I'm going to assume just a couple things. First off I will assume depending on your hitch height on that F350 you are probably over 13' tall, I'll also assume you are just under 60' in length.

Let's talk about routing. There are tons of aids out there that folks use. We have used RV GPS units, regular GPS units, iphone mapping, trucker's atlas, and others over the years. Right now we are just running a small GPS unit (on the DW's side of the truck) and my i-phone through the truck's system. We consult the trucker's atlas if we are getting off the interstate and traveling State routes very far.

There are RVers out there who claim they never make plans or reservations, just head out. We are not in that group and always plan ahead. I use a couple different iphone apps, the one I like the best is RVParky. I find different campground possibilities and look at reviews, google earth views, and mapping into and out of their facilities. When I narrow down a couple good possibilities I will call and see about availability and ask them more questions. We do use some Walmarts, Cabelas, and other free dry camp spots on occasion. I basically do the same planning for them, including a phone call to ask permission.

In planning this year we found numerous campgrounds with no sites for when we wanted to be in their areas. Friends of ours who were headed to southern Utah in August could only find one campground with an available site for a week, nothing for the two weeks they were looking for. So this year could be a little different out west depending on where you are going.

Lastly, annually we sketch out a general blueprint each spring of where we want to visit throughout the U.S. When we start mapping it out and making reservations we try to go to central locations in different areas and stay put for anywhere from a week to two weeks at a time. Many campgrounds will give you a much better rate for two weeks rather than just 2 or 3 nights. For example if there are four attractions we want to see in Montana that are 150 miles apart we won't try to camp close to each one. We will find a central camp site and stay a week or more (better rate) and drive our truck or motorcycle during the day to visit them. By a little pre-planning you would be shocked at the end of the year how low you can keep your daily average camping fee expenses.

Good luck and safe travels.

Latest resources

Back