Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
The motorhome we just bought has a gizmo roughly attached to the dash that appears to be part of a braking assist system for a tow vehicle. So the previous owner apparently used one.
We were advised that it’s not necessary with such a small toad and small DP. But, both of us have had to hit the brakes pretty hard occasionally (rarely) despite driving well under the speed limit and practicing ‘social distancing’ on the road. I’ve wondered if brake assisters on the toad would reduce our stopping distance. And, also wonder: how does it keep the toad from actually stopping in too short distance, and fighting the hitch?
(Regardless of our size and small toad, these situations WILL come up and I‘d like all the help I could get to stop 15 tons going 88 ft/sec.)
Near misses we’ve had:
1. a HORSE wandered onto the road as we rounded a blind curve in a light snowfall.
2. coming over Raton Pass, we saw the indication of heavy traffic on the map, came up to it, passed it, thought that was that… came over another hill to multiple brakelights.
3. Small car jumped a light - Stood on the brakes so hard it shifted our slideout forward 3 inches.

Last edited:
The easiest setup is brake buddy. I have used this since 2008 in 3/4 ton toads and now my jeep.

This uses inertia to determine how much braking to provide. The unit is powered by the toads 12v system and has a pump that presses the brake pedal.

For safety, and legal purposes, there is a break away cable that will apply full braking power if the toad is separated from the coach. This will allow the toad to be stopped and not become a rolling destructive force.

I have never tested the break away situation, but would never leave home without brakes on my toad.

The easiest setup is brake buddy. I have used this since 2008 in 3/4 ton toads and now my jeep.

This uses inertia to determine how much braking to provide. The unit is powered by the toads 12v system and has a pump that presses the brake pedal.

For safety, and legal purposes, there is a break away cable that will apply full braking power if the toad is separated from the coach. This will allow the toad to be stopped and not become a rolling destructive force.

I have never tested the break away situation, but would never leave home without brakes on my toad.
That name comes up a lot. I’ll look into it.

The only part that requires installation is the break away box and then a cable that goes into the cab.

What is your toad? I can help you find the easiest route thru the "firewall". Usually there is a unused grommet. I have been lucky and had them easily accessible on all my toads.

I poke a hole in the grommet and use a coat hanger to pull the interior end thru the compartment. I then apply rtv silicon on both ends to seal it back.

We were advised that it’s not necessary with such a small toad and small DP.
You were advised wrong. Every flat towed vehicle needs a supplemental braking system. This is why.

The only part that requires installation is the break away box and then a cable that goes into the cab.

What is your toad? I can help you find the easiest route thru the "firewall". Usually there is a unused grommet. I have been lucky and had them easily accessible on all my toads.

I poke a hole in the grommet and use a coat hanger to pull the interior end thru the compartment. I then apply rtv silicon on both ends to seal it back.
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual transmission

2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual transmission
Easy access thru firewall, many grommets on passenger side unused for the RHD models.

Latest resources

Back