Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've had some wonderful brisket here in TX, as expected, and now I want to learn how to cook one on my own using my Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker. Anyone with experience please chime in, share your brisket cooking secrets.

Some basics:

1: don't trim too much
2: marinate, dry rub, season ... lots of options
3: cook low...lots of smoke. Plan 90 min per lb of smoke time.
4: smoke fat side up until brisket reaches 140F.
5: wrap in butcher paper and continue to cook until 160F
6: remove from grill, don't open paper. Wrap in a towel and place in a cooler. Seal cooler and let it rest for 1 hrs. Brisket should reach 170.

Same as redbarron. Low and slow. 225 max temp. Key is to place it in the cooler for at least an hour. And don’t skimp on the seasoning

I'm originally from south Texas and any BBQ restaurant that I ever saw, always had meat on the smoker, took it out when it was ready, then served. Before I started smoking ribs, I searched for secrets online. I found millions of ways of smoking ribs. Until one day, I just put the ribs on the smoker, made sure temperature was around 225, and let it sit depending on the weight of the ribs being smoked. Comes out perfect every time. Best thing to do is to see how your set-up smokes meat. Where you place the brisket is just as important as how long and what temperature you smoke the ribs. Experiment, its a fun hobby. Good luck.

I understand they give brisket-smoking lessons at Deer Springs...just bring a prime brisket!
brisket.jpg

Aaron Franklin of Franklin's BBQ in Austin, TX has proven success in the brisket department. Here's the details:

I cook brisket in a slow cooker and then finish it in a pellet smoker for a few hours. I've found the results to be more predictable. They taste as smoky as the all smoker method.

I cook brisket in a slow cooker and then finish it in a pellet smoker for a few hours. I've found the results to be more predictable. They taste as smoky as the all smoker method.
I've heard it done the opposite way. The meat stops accepting smoke around 145F.

Although smoke won't absorb past that temp, it will still add flavor.

Also, there is no relationship between the smoke ring and smoke flavour. The ring is just a chemical reaction.

I'm home and first stop was Costco and I have a Brisket in hand. I didn't know how to pick one so I asked the guy behind the counter so we'll see if he knows what he's talking about, 50/50 chance...I wanted one with good marbling.

Knives arrived so I'm ready for a fight, oh, and the other items, heavy duty foil and also butcher paper.

Amazon product ASIN B005P0OPY2
Amazon product ASIN B00A6L1TCG
Amazon product ASIN B0776JH663
Amazon product ASIN B01NBBXGG9
Family coming over Sunday for the experiment. Will report back.

Ohh, one question. How long can I smoke it? For example, can I put it on the smoker before bed at a lower temp such as 190 and then raise to 225 in the morning? I'm wondering if it would be better to get it on the smoker the night before instead of waking up early and rushing things to be done by dinner time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back