Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Broken down in Breckenridge....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Left Tiger Run this morning and immediately got a yellow regen light, no big deal, proceeding. Then it turned into a red stop engine light and derate so made it into a nice clear parking lot. Called FL 24/7 and they said high soot level, needs forced regen, problem is stop engine code is blocking forced regen. It's Labor Day so no tow services per coach-net, which is fine, in a great spot to stay the night and not worry, notified police, they came by and said all is fine. Ouray was wonderful and allowed me to cancel the entire week minus 5% once I provide them evidence of the breakdown. Even if I was fixed tomorrow there's no way I can trust the engine right away to be in the rockies in the vicinity of Ouray and then via Telluride enroute to Pagosa Springs. Attempting to cancel high dollar Amazon items enroute to Pagosa Springs as that location is unknown right now, some of you know I had TV's etc. on the way there.

1 Engine Fault:
SPN 3251 FMI 0 OC 1

Glad I did my 3 year renewal with Coach-net after my last great experience with them. I also learned a valuable lesson from @NWIP's Alaska saga, while he never mentioned this I learned that never travel with your TOAD tank below a level that it can't get you to someplace you need to get to.

Will let all know how this saga proceeds. I'm not upset as this is the first time I had an issue since owning this coach in June of 2017. It's going to happen, so it's my turn to pay my dues.

So you must have other codes. Can you list them?

Also, it will not do a forced regen because of one of the codes?

What are you using for code reading/clearing and forced regens?

PM if you want. I’m curious about this and the possibility of you avoiding a tow.

Boy, @Neal, if a forced regen would get you going again I certainly would do everything I could to find a mobile mechanic to clear the codes and do the regen. Having been towed a long distance through the mountains, I can assure you it is a difficult task to say the least with a reasonable probability of damage to the coach. And don’t forget to check out the HWH Active Air towing procedures if a tow is necessary.
Best of luck sir!

So you must have other codes. Can you list them?

Also, it will not do a forced regen because of one of the codes?

What are you using for code reading/clearing and forced regens?

PM if you want. I’m curious about this and the possibility of you avoiding a tow.

I checked again, only one code, but I have a feeling there's more to it. Sounds like a clogged DPF filter in the after treatment and spoke with a Cummins tech and he said it may need to be replaced, don't know.

Boy, @Neal, if a forced regen would get you going again I certainly would do everything I could to find a mobile mechanic to clear the codes and do the regen. Having been towed a long distance through the mountains, I can assure you it is a difficult task to say the least with a reasonable probability of damage to the coach. And don’t forget to check out the HWH Active Air towing procedures if a tow is necessary.
Best of luck sir!
I tried finding one and the guy I spoke with said it would be $2500 to come up here and clear codes and check what he could but even at that he's not sure he could do anything if it needed to be done. Just going to have to deal with it.

Thanks for the heads up on HWH Active Air. If you have the info handy, please provide, otherwise I'll see what I can find in the manual, etc. I was wondering about that!

This is all I found on HWH Active Air towing:

hwh-aa-towing.jpg

Have you tried the “shorting plug” method for forced regens?

Its important to consider that it could just be a sensor issue. There are two sensors, one before and one after the DPF and they provide the differential to make the determination. So a bad sensor will cause the same issue as a bad DPF, and bad differential pressure sensors are fairly common.

Unless you have been getting multiple warnings about active regens, your DPF is probably not plugged. Has your DPF light been coming on when you decelerate such as exiting the freeway?

You get a lot of warnings before your DPF is so plugged that it has to be replaced. So my guess is thats not it and more likely just another example of a fragile, flukely system giving false readings causing the issue. Clearing codes and running a forced regen will probably clear things up.

Have you tried the “shorting plug” method for forced regens?
Yes, that's how it's done on mine and with FL 24/7 on the phone we tried multiple times. I think the problem is the code (stop engine) is registered and until cleared it's done.

Tried that, won't go into regen

This is the other code reader/code clearing/forced regen tool I mentioned. Its gone up in price a lot in a couple months. Was on sale for $349 in July, reg $449, now 600 bucks!.

Attachments

• AA7AEFF7-32A4-40BC-9F9D-3227F3174C7C.jpeg
    AA7AEFF7-32A4-40BC-9F9D-3227F3174C7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back