Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
As I plan to take delivery of my 2022 London Aire very soon, I decided it was time to build by Def Sensor simulator.

The instructions I followed where the original from the quick build (DEF Sensor Simulator – Quick Build – DEF Sensor Simulator)

I had purchased all of the components many months ago, and played a lot with the simulator on a simulated network, but never built one that was designed for the actual production use.

When I went to assemble the arduino DUE to the case, I discovered a problem with the fit. I assume that most people would use some 2 sided tape to get the due to hold in place, which would be fine.

Since I have several projects that will be using the DUE, including my new and improved RV-C control system for lights, shades, tank sensors, and tank flush, I decided that I would take the time design a platform that was purpose built for the case.

This is a view of the case with the weather-proof cable pass thru.

20220130_092558.jpg

This shows the platform installed.

You will see that the platform is secured to the case with 2 screws.
The platform has 6 stands to keep the DUE board from touching the screws. 2 of those are threaded with a M3 thread to secure the board to the platform.

20220130_092741.jpg

This shows the DUE screwed to the platform.

20220130_093516.jpg

I also applied some silicon around each of the wires so that the strands wouldn't work their way loose and become a short circuit. I used a very thick wire (14 awg) which was overkill for the application. Next time I will use a 18awg.

This is the kit ready to be installed as soon as the summer heat kills my DEF head.

20220130_094034.jpg

As I plan to take delivery of my 2022 London Aire very soon, I decided it was time to build by Def Sensor simulator.

The instructions I followed where the original from the quick build (DEF Sensor Simulator – Quick Build – DEF Sensor Simulator)

I had purchased all of the components many months ago, and played a lot with the simulator on a simulated network, but never built one that was designed for the actual production use.

When I went to assemble the arduino DUE to the case, I discovered a problem with the fit. I assume that most people would use some 2 sided tape to get the due to hold in place, which would be fine.

Since I have several projects that will be using the DUE, including my new and improved RV-C control system for lights, shades, tank sensors, and tank flush, I decided that I would take the time design a platform that was purpose built for the case.

This is a view of the case with the weather-proof cable pass thru.

View attachment 10633

This shows the platform installed.

You will see that the platform is secured to the case with 2 screws.
The platform has 6 stands to keep the DUE board from touching the screws. 2 of those are threaded with a M3 thread to secure the board to the platform.

View attachment 10634

This shows the DUE screwed to the platform.

View attachment 10635

I also applied some silicon around each of the wires so that the strands wouldn't work their way loose and become a short circuit. I used a very thick wire (14 awg) which was overkill for the application. Next time I will use a 18awg.

This is the kit ready to be installed as soon as the summer heat kills my DEF head.

View attachment 10636
Nice, but for us gas people. What does it do ?

Nice, but for us gas people. What does it do ?
NOTHING!!

Gas coaches, and those diesel coaches built on Freightliner Chassis don't have to worry about this problem.
Only spartan with their terribly DEF Head sensors have to worry about this issue, and only in the summer months.

Very creative solution! Hope all goes as planned.

NOTHING!!

Gas coaches, and those diesel coaches built on Freightliner Chassis don't have to worry about this problem.
Only spartan with their terribly DEF Head sensors have to worry about this issue, and only in the summer months.
Except for a few unlucky Freightliner owners😡😡😡

Except for a few unlucky Freightliner owners😡😡😡
Correct me if I am wrong, but the failure for the freightliner was not related to the sensor itself, and parts are readily available?

I remember you had an issue...just not the details.

Total derate due to bad DEF sensor. Entire DEF head replaced. Part was acquired within a few days. Unfortunately the Freightliner dealer took almost 3 weeks to have a tech available to replace the unit. All done under warranty. Freightliner also paid most of a $3000 tow bill after much arm twisting

Total derate due to bad DEF sensor. Entire DEF head replaced. Part was acquired within a few days. Unfortunately the Freightliner dealer took almost 3 weeks to have a tech available to replace the unit. All done under warranty. Freightliner also paid most of a $3000 tow bill after much arm twisting
Ouch...honestly that sounds every bit as bad as what I am hearing on spartan.

From all accounts, FL is not immune, but the frequency of occurrence is less than Spartan. I have a DEF sensor simulator tucked away in my storage compartment.

@redbaron ... once you build one of these units, what it the best method of field testing it to make sure it works before hitting the road? I am getting ready to order the parts.

FLSteve :unsure:

Latest resources

Back