• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

llivings01

RVF Newbee
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a questions. We recently purchased an East to West Alta 2800 KBH. This is my first bumper pull trailer. I have towed boats all my life, so am used to pulling. I purchased some sway bars / weight distribution system for the trailer...as I have heard that sway is the dreaded enemy for travel trailers. We went on our first long trip into the Georgia mountains this past weekend. On the way back...we got some pretty nasty winds...and it was difficult to control the sway...especially when big trucks passed...or I passed big trucks. We are getting ready for a longer trip up to Kentucky...and fear that same sway issues. I have researched that 5th wheels don't have as much problem with sway...and was looking at a Bumper Pull Conversion to Gooseneck...and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with that. The conversion kit costs about $3,000...so I don't want to purchase something and it not work...or not be sturdy enough for the trailer. Does anyone have any experience with the conversion kit from BPCONVERSIONS.COM?

Thanks,
Lee

converting to a gooseneck seems like a very last resort. First thing I would do is lower the height of the receiver. Get the front of the trailer just slightly lower than the rear and see if you notice a difference. Pretty sure you will

It’s all about hitch setup and weight distribution.
I would make sure you don’t have too much weight in the rear of the trailer when loading.
Make sure you have the correct hitch for the weight of the trailer.
insure you have the hitch installed correctly.
If needed you can add an anti sway bar.

What he said because he is spot on. I would sell and buy 5th wheel before converting anything. I pulled everything made all over the country in the rv hauling business. Never had anything I could not pull cross country. Also make sure your running two sway bars. I use to stop in high winds drop my eq bars which lowered the tong and drive on in high winds. Have also lowered my hitch to drop tong. Your problem can be fixed. Its about weight distribution sway control and tire pressure. If your pulling with a wuss truck no offence, you may need sway bars on the back and stout springs. Air bags are not stout as far as side to side movement body to frame. Soft springs will let truck body sway back and forth. Use that 3000 for your hitch set up and your two vehicle. Well you want need that much.

Latest resources

Back