Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Buying a 1999 Country Coach Allure M-330hp slide with high miles (good idea or bad???))

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Marc McKinley

RVF Newbee
Hello all,
My wife and I are excited to join the Country Coach family. We are new to motor coaches but have been camping (pull behind camper) for years. We have now decided to try the motor coach world. With our very limited budget we were forced to buy a newer gas lesser brand coach or an older quality brand Diesel pusher (Country Coach) with higher miles. We really wanted a diesel because we plan to pull a toad through the Tennessee Mountains on a regular basis.

We have settled on a meticulously maintained 1999 Allure M-330hp 36' slide (pick it up this Friday). The one thing that has us a little nervous is that it 4958 hrs on the motor/transmission equating to approximately 223,000 miles. The previous owner has owned this coach for the past 20 years and had no intentions of selling until a bad turn of his health. In fact, the coach was totally remodeled in 2018 including ...

-New plank flooring
-New window and main 21' awning. Replaced with Sunbrella not cheap vinyl.
-New high end microwave/convection oven
-Fridge (double door) cooling system replaced
-Tile back splashes in kitchen and bathroom
-New residential faucets in kitchen and bathroom
-new porcelain toilet
-new cabinet hardware thought
-New TVs front and back
-Couch reupholstered
-New leather recliner and ottoman
-Driver and passenger seats reupholstered
-New fresh water pump

Mechanical items replaced in the last 5 years...

-New Suspension air bags front and rear
-New Magnum inverter
-New PRXB exhaust brake
-All batteries 2 years old
-Silverleaf engine digital monitoring system
-Blue ox towing system air brake controller

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something.

Also included with the sale is all camping gear and anything associated with traveling in a motor coach. This is due to the gentleman's failing health and the realization that traveling in a motor coach is no longer in his future (this actually saddens me). He and his wife are VERY kind people and it's obvious this coach has a lot of meaning to them. He has records of everything but maintenance because this is something he has done on his own. He told me that his regiment was to change oil and all filters once per year. He has explained that though he has had the coach looked over by a professional a few times over the years just to be sure nothing was needing attention, it has never needed any major engine or drive train repairs.

I feel like with all the updates we are getting a very fair deal (right in the middle of NADA pricing). The exterior/paint is in great shape, still shines, with very little clear coat issues (almost none). The engine looks like you could eat off of it. There is almost zero rust to be found anywhere on the coach because it has lived it's life in a very dry climate. I really like the fact that it has only had 2 owners and one for the last 20 years (if you keep something that long I would assume you maintain it). I also like the fact that he was not planning on selling it so most likely not just dumping a bag of troubles.

Though my wife and I have pretty much (99%) have committed to purchasing and picking this coach up this Friday I would REALLY like your opinions. I'm good with trouble shooting and can fix a lot but serious issues with a 8.3 Cummins is going to most likely be out of my realm.

Should we be concerned???
Does this sound like a fair price???

Thanks in advance for your input!

All I can say is that the older Country Coaches were built like a tank. We toured the factory in the early 2000’s and were certainly impressed. If everything you say checks out, why not go for it.

All I can say is that the older Country Coaches were built like a tank. We toured the factory in the early 2000’s and were certainly impressed. If everything you say checks out, why not go for it.

I appreciate the encouragement. This coach is honestly nicer than I thought we would find in our price range and being a known well built County Coach makes us feel a little safer. We understand that unforeseen costly repairs can jump up on you but we are hoping for the best due to the overall condition (We are purchasing this one using the very limit of our budget). $4,000-$5,000 repair would suck but doable, however a $10,000 repair soon after purchase may sideline us for a year or so.

That being said, even though its been very well maintained, in great condition and many components recently replaced, 4958 hours and 223,000 miles has us a bit worried.

The question is... Are we over thinking it??? LOL

I appreciate the encouragement. This coach is honestly nicer than I thought we would find in our price range and being a known well built County Coach makes us feel a little safer. We understand that unforeseen costly repairs can jump up on you but we are hoping for the best due to the overall condition (We are purchasing this one using the very limit of our budget). $4,000-$5,000 repair would suck but doable, however a $10,000 repair soon after purchase may sideline us for a year or so.

That being said, even though its been very well maintained, in great condition and many components recently replaced, 4958 hours and 223,000 miles has us a bit worried.

The question is... Are we over thinking it??? LOL
Yes

I wouldn’t fret to much about the miles if it has been well maintained as you say. I would suggest a good roadside assistance program just in case. Hope you have many adventuresome miles in your future.

A good rule of thumb is 10,000 hours for a well maintained diesel although most will go well past that. So if it has had regular maintenance, you are probably ok. Same with the transmission. Where you may run into some expenses on older, somewhat high milage rigs is the components such as the fuel system, charging, air compressor and brake systems, etc. But none of these are major expenses and you are unlikely to get hit with them all at once.

It would be a good idea to go through the maintenance records and compare that to the published maintenance schedules for the chassis, engine, and transmission, and do anything called for that is not recorded in the records. You might spend a couple thousand $$ getting a transmission and chassis maintenance done, but it might keep you from getting stranded and having higher repair bills.

Beyond that, theres no reason this rig shouldn't go another 250k or more. Also check the date codes on the tires. If they are over 6 years old, you have a fairly big expense on the near horizon, regardless of how much tread the tires have now.

You also mentioned paint. CC had a fiberglass finish problem that was under the paint and only repairable with fiberglass work. It evidences itself in the form of minute checking (like lacquer checking) and can’t just be sanded out and repainted. Its something you have to look closely at to see and to many people its no big deal, but if its there it does affect the value of the coach. Its a well documented issue and easy to research.

Although my experience with diesels is in boats (and IMHO they work harder than in MH), I agree with Rich. In the boating world where diesel engines push tremendous tonnage through water, 10,000 hours is the bench mark for concern. If all else checks out, you are buying a well maintained coach that hasn't even reached half of its useful life. Best of travels...Oh...and before you buy ALWAYS have an oil analysis done 😉

I’d like to know how your purchase turned out. We jumped into an even older 92CC last year with intentions of fixing ours up into the last RV we will own and drive. We love our rig and really appreciate the craftsmanship that were put into these vehicles!

Attachments

• 3B4C1185-D034-4FC6-A9AC-CF0273BD49BC.jpeg
    3B4C1185-D034-4FC6-A9AC-CF0273BD49BC.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 6

Latest resources

Back