Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Biker

RVF Regular
I’m going to buy a 5th wheel. I have a new Ford XLT diesel set up with a 5th wheel towing package. I would like something like a 30 foot model since it is only my wife and myself. Weight is a concern for me so my 1st question is are these ultra light models built good enough to travel 5,000-6,000 miles a year? I just don’t want to stress the truck going up mountain passes or average 5 mph On a trip.

Light weight mean light build. At 30 ft get a solid model and enjoy it. That truck will not notice the difference.

Light weight mean light build. At 30 ft get a solid model and enjoy it. That truck will not notice the difference.
Thanks for the info. Next question. I think I will want to take the hitch out when I’m not using the 5th wheel. I see Anderson hitches only weigh 35 lbs. are they any good? Also this truck has a 6’9” bed. Will I need a hitch that slides?

I have not run a 5th wheel. I am sure someone in here has some advice along those lines. There are many video's on youtube that might answer basic questions.

I have not run a 5th wheel. I am sure someone in here has some advice along those lines. There are many video's on youtube that might answer basic questions.
I think so too. I would like some Info
from people who pull 5th wheels with a similar truck. Can I pull somthing with 12000lb gross weight safely and semi economically with my truck that is rated for about 20,000lbs

I think so too. I would like some Info
from people who pull 5th wheels with a similar truck. Can I pull somthing with 12000lb gross weight safely and semi economically with my truck that is rated for about 20,000lbs
All the videos I see are from truck dealers or rv salesmen who only want to sell their product. Both tell you you you can pull whatever your truck is rated for. I’m skeptical about that

Many trucks will pull a lot more weight then they can CARRY. Stopping is a larger consideration, especially in mountains. You need to look at the capacity to carry a payload and look at the individual RV's pin weight empty and consider how you will load it. Plus everything in the truck extra subtracts from the payload. Look online for weight calculators and plug in your trucks ratings. Many only go up to 80% of the max payload to give a cushion.
The hitch also subtracts from the payload.

Many trucks will pull a lot more weight then they can CARRY. Stopping is a larger consideration, especially in mountains. You need to look at the capacity to carry a payload and look at the individual RV's pin weight empty and consider how you will load it. Plus everything in the truck extra subtracts from the payload. Look online for weight calculators and plug in your trucks ratings. Many only go up to 80% of the max payload to give a cushion.
The hitch also subtracts from the payload.
Thanks again. My truck‘s payload capacity is 4260lbs. So with a Rv tongue weight of 2000lbs and hitch, passengers, misc I don’t think I’ll be over 3000lbs. I will have brakes on my Rv so I hope braking is not a problem. My truck is rated for towing 21,200lbs so I am thinking about an Rv with a gross weight about 12,000lbs. I hope to pull something that I can average at least 12mpg and pull without stressing the truck

Thanks for the info. Next question. I think I will want to take the hitch out when I’m not using the 5th wheel. I see Anderson hitches only weigh 35 lbs. are they any good? Also this truck has a 6’9” bed. Will I need a hitch that slides?
3 brothers in law using Anderson 5th wheel hitch .... just amazing, it does the job, no regret since +- 3 years. 27´ to 32’ 5th wheel. And so quiet 👍👍
Only good word’s for this system.

My advice after attending RV shows the last couple weeks, go find yourself a well cared for older 5th wheel. You will be MUCH better off, because the new stuff they are selling is GARBAGE!!!

And yes, your new truck should be able to handle a 30ft "heavy" 5th wheel with no issues.

Latest resources

Back