Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Has anyone purchased door parts directly from PTL engineering? Our locking hinged door check (the hinged door stop at the top of the door) broke today. It was too late to call either Newmar or PTL, so I checked ComNet2 and the PTL website and found the part. Newmar is askiing $286.37; PTL shows the same part (matching vendor #s) for $85.09. Big difference!

It looks like PTL will sell directly, but I can't be sure. Has anyone ordered directly from PTL? What was your experience?

TJ

Well, ours broke, like yours in April. I made the mistake of ordering our hinge from Newmar. Yes, paying the enormous high price. Yes, I then learned the lesson you have already learned . Returned my hinge to Newmar paying the $60 return fee and ordered from PTL directly for $85. They shipped the new one to me and all is well. Lesson learned for us. Good luck
bobnjill

@TJ&LadyDi I purchased exterior handle, plexiglass panel directly from PTL and no issues. Very good answering questions to make sure I got the right parts.

Thanks, folks; I appreciate the input. I will be on the phone to them in the morning. Hopefully, they ship quickly as I would like to get the door repaired ASAP.

TJ

Has anyone purchased door parts directly from PTL engineering? Our locking hinged door check (the hinged door stop at the top of the door) broke today. It was too late to call either Newmar or PTL, so I checked ComNet2 and the PTL website and found the part. Newmar is askiing $286.37; PTL shows the same part (matching vendor #s) for $85.09. Big difference!

It looks like PTL will sell directly, but I can't be sure. Has anyone ordered directly from PTL? What was your experience?

TJ

Yes, they are wonderful to deal with, I have only used email with them. Great customer service.

Yes, they are wonderful to deal with, I have only used email with them. Great customer service.
Good to know,@Neal. I'll be calling in the morning to see how fast they can get the replacement part here.

The fact that the original broke doesn't cause us much of a problem, except that if the wind catches the door when we open it, there is the possibility of it swinging all the way around and hitting the mirror. That would not be good.

In looking at the broken part, the hinge pins on the mounting plates are not very robust. That's what broke; the pin pulled out of the plate. I may buy a spare just because of what I see as a potential problem area.

TJ

Sadly I think that is a common failure item. I bet they'll send you a replacement no charge.

when I had my class C, I sent them a picture of a part I needed for our vent fan. They did all the legwork and found a replacement part for me. Haven’t needed them since, but I won’t hesitate to buy from them again. This was for a no-name vent they had made for winnebago at the time.

Called PTL just now...and, got a recording saying they were "closed for the week, beginning June 29. We will re-open on July 6." So, I guess we'll just have to be careful with the door for a while longer. I'm certainly not going to pay the inflated Newmar price for that part.

TJ

Last November I contacted PTL to order that hinge for my 2018 King Aire. I talked to Noell Daoust, [email protected], 810-664-2310. She was really knowledgeable and helpful. She asked me to send her a photo of the failed hinge. When she saw that it had failed at the hinge point (pin pulled out of flat iron) she said they would send me a new hinge at no-charge. It's my impression they know that hinge was weak so they are making it right. As a temporary fix, I took the old hinge off of the door, put the pin back through the hole it is supposed to be in and used a punch and hammer to kind of flatten out the pin to keep it in place. This worked until I got the new hinge and installed it. Good luck!

Sjs

Latest resources

Back