Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezyrider202

RVF Regular
I am new I’m hoping the collective wisdom here can offer me advice.

The situation: Sometime within the next two months I will be purchasing a Class A and hitting the road to see the country while living in the unit.

I’ll be riding alone and am lookin for a used unit in the 30 ft range that’s as is far under $100k as I can get away, and with ten thousand miles or less.

I’ve received advice from a friend and a salesman to NOT buy a new rig, but to purchase one that is two to three years old. The theory: by the second year most of the problems will occur and be remedied either by warranty or paid cash out by the original owner. Also, the original owner will probably have purchased options that would enhance the unit. And of course, it will be less expensive than a new one.

On the up side of new ones— they come with a warrantee, and no one else has been using personal aspects such as the mattress and bathroom.

—-> I would very much appreciate feedback on the used/new issue.

Brands: I understand that most brands have been bought up and consolidated under two mags groups. According to online reviews, the most reliable brands are (I think independent) Newmar and Tiffiin. But even their used models are too expensive and too much motor home for one person.

According to the many reviews I’ve read, every other brand is a sh*t show. Most common complaints are: faulty construction or other defects, terrible service and support, and difficulty steering.

But I realize the reviews are a magnet for those with grievances.

But, is this evidence? I see a lot of two year olds for sale with relatively low milage and those brands are Thor, Jayco, Winnebago, Fleetwood and Forrest River. Most of the reviews on these brands are that they stink and don’t buy them.

It makes me think: If new customers are turning around and selling in a year or three these brands must be the biggest headaches and disappointments. Right?

But but... I have a good friend who lives in a Thor Vegas and has had no problems since he bought it two years ago. Is his experience the exception to the rule?

—-> I would value greatly you thoughts about my impressions of Class A rigs, and any suggestions you may have on brands and basic features and options I should look for.

Apologies for the very long note Thanks for reading.

ER202

People sell motor homes for many, many reasons. You can’t assume anything.

You are doing your homework, which is good. The only other comment I have is unless there is a compelling reason, giving yourself a two month deadline can lead to some less than ideal decisions.

People sell motor homes for many, many reasons. You can’t assume anything.

You are doing your homework, which is good. The only other comment I have is unless there is a compelling reason, giving yourself a two month deadline can lead to some less than ideal decisions.
Thank you Neemer... The two month window is my guess on when prices hit bottom for the year, and I could get a better deal

I understand that you can purchase a reliable unit from Cruise America. Typically they are sold with a warranty of short duration but covers immediate issues. It is my understanding these are refurbished rental fleet rigs. For the money they are a reasonably good deal for what you get. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy-used-rvs

I understand that you can purchase a reliable unit from Cruise America. Typically they are sold with a warranty of short duration but covers immediate issues. It is my understanding these are refurbished rental fleet rigs. For the money they are a reasonably good deal for what you get. Buy an RV
Thanks for the idea Joe. I’ve discovered Cruise America uses only class c rigs

Idea of older coaches having bugs worked out, depreciated and things is got its points. Yes maybe out of warranty but you can get extended warranty. I think your research has provided what manufacturer have a good reputation and would stick with that. May end up being 5 years old instead of 1-2 years old but the best choice in the long run.

Welcome aboard, @Ezyrider202; glad you found your way here. With your budget and size criteria, I think you need to be looking for a 4-5year-old coach. Both Newmar and Tiffin have produced Class A diesel pushers in shorter lengths (34-36 feet). One of those 4-5 year-old coaches might fit into your budget.

As for the "other brands," you will find people who have had good luck with them. And, you will likely find a much larger number who have had serious problems. You can always hope you will be the one to get a relatively problem-free one, but I think the odds are against it. Depends on how much of a gambler you are.

As for the "ten thousand miles or less"criteria, I think you are being too restrictive for a diesel coach. A diesel pusher with 30K to 50K miles on it is still very viable. A quality diesel pusher is easily good for 100K miles with relatively few mechanical issues.

Glad you are doing your research. Try to find some dealerships with a wide selection of coaches on the lot. Leave your checkbook at home! ;) Walk through a bunch of them and carefully observe the fit and finish, as well as the amenities. Check the floor plans for how they might fit your needs. Get a good idea of what you like and what you don't. After you've done that, then start narrowing down your choice.

Good luck.

TJ

Welcome aboard, @Ezyrider202; glad you found your way here. With your budget and size criteria, I think you need to be looking for a 4-5year-old coach. Both Newmar and Tiffin have produced Class A diesel pushers in shorter lengths (34-36 feet). One of those 4-5 year-old coaches might fit into your budget.

As for the "other brands," you will find people who have had good luck with them. And, you will likely find a much larger number who have had serious problems. You can always hope you will be the one to get a relatively problem-free one, but I think the odds are against it. Depends on how much of a gambler you are.

As for the "ten thousand miles or less"criteria, I think you are being too restrictive for a diesel coach. A diesel pusher with 30K to 50K miles on it is still very viable. A quality diesel pusher is easily good for 100K miles with relatively few mechanical issues.

Glad you are doing your research. Try to find some dealerships with a wide selection of coaches on the lot. Leave your checkbook at home! ;) Walk through a bunch of them and carefully observe the fit and finish, as well as the amenities. Check the floor plans for how they might fit your needs. Get a good idea of what you like and what you don't. After you've done that, then start narrowing down your choice.

Good luck.

TJ
Thank you TJ for your advice. I am expanding my search accordingly. Perhaps you can help me with a couple of follow up questions.
1) does Itasca fit into the top tier along with Newmar and Tifflin? Are there any other brands I should be focusing on
2) I plan/hope to ride with my motorcycle stored ( or a lighter one if necessary) on a heavy duty hydraulic rack on the back of the rig. I assume doing that makes a diesel pusher out of the question. Correct?
3) if an ad for a diesel doesn’t include the word “pusher” can I correctly assume the engine is NOT in the back?
Thank you for your ideas and guidance. Very helpful.

Idea of older coaches having bugs worked out, depreciated and things is got its points. Yes maybe out of warranty but you can get extended warranty. I think your research has provided what manufacturer have a good reputation and would stick with that. May end up being 5 years old instead of 1-2 years old but the best choice in the long run.
MWIP. Thanks a lot for your advice. I am adjusting my search accordingly.

Thank you TJ for your advice. I am expanding my search accordingly. Perhaps you can help me with a couple of follow up questions.
1) does Itasca fit into the top tier along with Newmar and Tifflin? Are there any other brands I should be focusing on
2) I plan/hope to ride with my motorcycle stored ( or a lighter one if necessary) on a heavy duty hydraulic rack on the back of the rig. I assume doing that makes a diesel pusher out of the question. Correct?
3) if an ad for a diesel doesn’t include the word “pusher” can I correctly assume the engine is NOT in the back?
Thank you for your ideas and guidance. Very helpful.
I don't know a lot about Itasca, but I wouldn't put it on par with either Newmar or Tiffin.

As for a motorcycle rack ruling out a diesel pusher, that is not correct. In fact, having a stouter frame and more power (attributes of diesel pushers) would make a DP essential for me if I was hauling a motorcycle on the back. And, I see that configuration quite often.

With regard to "diesel" listings not having the word "pusher" associated with them, I wouldn't consider that definitive. There are not many front-engined diesel Class A coaches out there; especially in the top-tier brands. The "pusher" configuration is much more common.

Good luck.

TJ

Latest resources

Back