Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

USMC6565

RVF Newbee
Curious if anyone here uses a cab and chassis with a flatbed for a tow vehicle for gooseneck setup. I have a Ford F450 that I’d like to use but I think the bed and pin are too tall. Does anyone have experience with this? I can’t seem to find specs for trailers for what the max height is for the gooseneck box.

The height would be fine. I would suggest converting the pin box to a gooseneck. Then you will still have the versatility of your flatbed. There are a couple manufacturers that offer some very good gooseneck conversions that do not void the trailer’s warranty

My son just converted his pin box to a goose neck and uses a flat bed. He had a conventional bed but built the flat bed specifically so he could do this. Works just fine.

Back in 1999 we bought an F450 and had a custom utility body put on it for towing - we used a B&W turnover Ball with their Companion fifth wheel hitch - the Companion was their flatbed model. We still have the hitch stored in our shed, but the truck is long gone.

I use the BW turn-over and companion system as well. Expensive but a very nice solution.

I measured the height of the flatbed and it is 44 inches (top of bed) from the ground. The top of the gooseneck ball would be about 42 inches above the ground.

Latest resources

Back