tileman

tile-man
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Storm
RV Length
We've owned 4 class A motorhomes. Several years ago we found one that suited us perfectly, a 1996 Fleetwood Storm. We've owned it about 20 years. It's taken us across the country from Florida to California 8 times. We frequently take off for 3 months and just drive around the country. I've replaced the stairs, water heater, air conditioner, microwave and I can't remember everything I've replaced or repaired. To be fair, I've replaced the water heater, air conditioner, microwave and many other items in my house. On my last trip I was traveling through Mississippi on my way to Florida. I thought I heard a tap, tap, tap. tap, By the time I got to Florida the tap was louder. I took it to my mechanic. He said it's in the bottom, you might need a new engine. We can't do that. You'll have to find a shop that can work on it. I called 3 large auto repair shops no luck. I called a local RV sales and repair facility. "We can't do that." Out of desperation, I ran an ad in a county forum "I think I need the 454 engine in my motorhome replaced" Several back yard mechanics gave there phone number. One person simply wrote "I can do that". I private messaged him. He's a mechanic at a shop called "American Diesel & Hydraulic" I took my motorhome there. I saw heavy duty lifts, a few trucks and a class A Diesel pusher. I'm waiting for the price. Call me crazy, I'm getting her a new engine.

So your in Florida then. To bad, If you were in Deming NM I have one with about 70000 miles on it that you could get for close to nothing.

Call me crazy, I'm getting her a new engine.
Not crazy at all! If this coach fits your needs, go for it!

I’ve heard of several people having problems getting gas engines replaced in coaches but not sure why. Rebuilding a 454 is nothing special, so it must be an access thing; motorhome engines are tucked away in some pretty inaccessible places.

TJ

TJ, Yes I agree, it must be the access. There is a place in Phoenix (Glendale) that does RV engines reasonably I have read. Of coarse that doesn't help. Here is a video

So your in Florida then. To bad, If you were in Deming NM I have one with about 70000 miles on it that you could get for close to nothing.
My first thought was "Get another RV" Then my wife pointed out all of the upgrades we've done to this one. So we decided to pay for a new engine and keep this one.

I would discuss a rebuild vs a crate engine with the shop.

If your 454 is a carb engine, an upgrade to a Holley Sniper will bump the hp and mileage a bit.

Its only money...................

I would discuss a rebuild vs a crate engine with the shop.

If your 454 is a carb engine, an upgrade to a Holley Sniper will bump the hp and mileage a bit.

Its only money...................
efi

There is a place called National Cylinder Head in Orlando Fl. They rebuild/exchange engines pretty much like an assembly line. Everything gets replaced, then tested on test benches and tuned before given to the customer. Years ago when I lived down there I had a small block GM engine in my Sea Ray blow. I pulled it out and gave it to them and in about 3 days it was completly rebuilt with replaced heads because of cracks they found for about $800 with 6 months warranty on marine engines and 1 year for auto. Now that was many years ago so price would definitely be higher. They also have a big shop there if you want them to do the work. A friend of mine used them not too long ago so they are still around. I believe the son now owns it.

I don’t know about the quality of there work today, but back then I was happy.

Latest resources

Back