Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

steamyb

RVF Regular
So with Covid-19 a new term (to me anyway) has popped up called social distancing.
Well, we are full-time and campgrounds are mostly what's available on the east coast. We have National, State, COE parks available through RA app on the phone, but those are only 2 weeks and you have to make them months in advance. Not really convenient for us.
And then someone decided to shut down all the campgrounds.
Is this logical considering the numbers of nomads on the roads these days? For me, I can distance myself socially by staying inside my RV. IMHO

IMO, No it is not.

I guess I am not sure which camp grounds you're talking about. Yes, state and national CGs and COE are closing. Unfortunately, there are people running the government campgrounds that need to go home and hunker down. They can't if they have to take care of the CG and you. Makes sense to them and me. I have not heard that the private campgrounds are hurrying to close but they are closing amenities to keep socializing to a minimum. Can you not book long term at a private CG (we're still full of snow birds here in FL and they are closing the gov't parks here too). The time is getting close for the herd to head north so there will be plenty of private parks freeing up in the next month. There is always BLM places to go boon dock, I guess that is where I would head.

As I mentioned in another post, we as full timers have to get plan B and maybe even plan C ready as this thing gets cranked up.

Yesterday I communicated with the Director of a Park District who owns/operates a campground that we were heading to up north next month. We had planned on staying there from around May to September. He said at this time they plan on keeping the campground up and running. But like everything else recently, this could change from day to day.

We are shoring up our plan B just in case. Worse case we will turn to plan C, which is returning to our annual site in central Florida. I still think it will be easier to get through all of this being full time in our coach rather than being back in a sticknbrick right now.

We just returned from Newmar in Nappanee, IN to home in central FL. No issues finding overnight CG space. We used fast food take out on a couple of occasions but mostly eat in the RV. Stopped at a couple of individually owned CG and a couple of KOAs CG. No issues. Some used a night box to provide you your information with the office closed others operated as normal. That said we are happy to be home. We have been caught out on the road several times for these types of national crisis events, thankfully we were in the USA this time. :)

Glad you had a smooth trip back south Joe, all things considered.

Hope you had a successful visiting Nappanee and glad your travels were smooth.

With the virus spreading rapidly in LA I cancelled my two KOA reservations (Baton Rouge and New Orleans) and will re-route around LA. Kudos to KOA for effortless cancellations, full refunds.

We had scheduled a month long trip through Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico primary to visit the FMCA Event in Tucson mid March. We got as far as Malibu before turning around back to our home in the SF Bay Area. We like to schedule ahead so we had many reservations along the route, some independent, some KOA, some Good Sam. Every single one refunded every dime of deposit with no questions asked. Very pleased and surprised as this situation is going to get pretty tough for many of these parks.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back