Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ManlyMan

RVF VIP
My first post and I’m whining about other RVers. Yep, that’s the kind of guy I am.

COE campgrounds in my area have a 4 PM check out time which I consider very liberal. I get quite aggravated when I have a campsite reserved and when I arrive the current occupants don’t vacate until after that 4 PM check out.

I just returned from a camping trip where this happened and the occupants didn’t vacate until 5:30 PM. I had notified the campground host and he called the park rangers. It was already 5 PM when the ranger arrived and he was waaaay too polite in telling them they should have been out by 4 PM. The wife actually got mad and told the ranger she just wouldn’t camp here anymore. It’s a funny thing with rude people, when you call them out for a rule violation they get mad and feel they are being mistreated.

I consider it very rude to be late leaving a campsite. As far as I’m concerned those folks were stealing my camping time that I paid for. Some RVers are jerks.

Welcome to RVF, @ManlyMan; hope the early vent released some pressure. You do know how to make an entrance. :ROFLMAO: And, we're glad to have you here.

Yes, some RVers can be frustrating at times; not RVF folks, of course. ;) I would agree that a 4 pm checkout time is very liberal; many parks have it at noon, or even earlier.

What we do have to remember is that these are NOT "normal" times and lots of folks are a bit edgy and thinking more about themselves than others. While you are correct that overstaying a reservation takes time away from the next occupant, it isn't always apparent why the late departure is occurring. During these difficult times, we need to give each other a bit of slack since we don't always know what's going on in the lives of others.

You did the right thing by letting the park staff handle the matter. Getting into personal conflicts rarely solves the problem and has the potential for not ending well. Hopefully, your next experience will be an extra special good one.

TJ

Last edited:
Normally I do allow some slack but in the case that I posted about, the men were out fishing and didn't return until after 4:30 PM. They said they lost track of time.

Welcome to RVForums @ManlyMan. The opposite is true too, people arriving prior to published check-in time, by several hours!

Normally I do allow some slack but in the case that I posted about, the men were out fishing and didn't return until after 4:30 PM. They said they lost track of time.
Being a fisherman myself, I wish I could truthfully say I had never lost track of time while fishing. :rolleyes:

I do understand your frustration, however, but sometimes things just happen and we can either roll with them, or we can let them get the best of us.

TJ

I'm not a "go with the flow" kind of guy. I also don't believe in "Don't Make Waves." I firmly believe it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. When I pay for a campsite and my time begins at 4 PM I want that site empty at 4 PM. As I said, I feel those folks were STEALING from me, not the campground. I have written (not email) a letter to the COE's complaining about a lack of oversight on checkout times. During the week I was camped there I saw a number of late departures.
Once that couple departed and I got my trailer setup, I had a few neighbors come over to commiserate with me. Apparently late departures are a thing at this campground.

I don't expect people to be considerate but I raise hell when they aren't.

So how do you handle doctors appointments? They seem to always be stealing my time, which is far more valuable than their time is :)

So how do you handle doctors appointments? They seem to always be stealing my time, which is far more valuable than their time is :)
You got the wrong thread, talking about late departures not late arrivals?

You got the wrong thread, talking about late departures not late arrivals?
Both seem to apply at my doctors. Arrive 15 min early to be seen 1 hour late, thus making for a late departure....

Yesterday I had an appointment with the US CBP for my fast entry renewal. Showed up 15 min early, was seen right away, and departed early as a result....never thought the US Government would be fast at anything!

Bottom line....not everyone tells time the same way, or watches the clock the same. Expect delays and plan accordingly and you will be happier. Demand promptness from everyone and you will be destined for a life of trials and tribulations.

Latest resources

Back