Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
Fulltimer
No
I made reservations several months ago for my late summer trip to AZ, UT, and CO and had difficulty getting into some of my preferred parks due to them being booked. I'm now seeing photos where the parks seem to have several vacant sites on some social media forums. I know we aren't at the height of travel season yet but just curious about what others are experiencing.

This year will be interesting for sure. I'd venture to say if you tried to get in someplace and couldn't, try again or get on a waiting list. Sounds like things are going to open up.

I just booked a camp ground in Gulf Shores AL. a month in advance. 13 nights. They had me an opening for 11 nights but said I'd have to move to a different spot for the last two nights. When I got here, the CG is half empty and we got put on the lake in a primo spot. Been here all week and the place isn't more than 70% full. Lots of open spots. I have a feeling that with gas prices so high people are cancelling a lot of reservations.

I spoke with my financial advisor who also happens to be my son yesterday about possibly canceling my travel plans this summer due to costs. His response surprised me, "Dad go and enjoy the parks that will be almost empty".

Alaska maybe slightly different in the fact nobody has been able to cross Canadian border for 2 seasons. We didn’t make any reservations in advance when we went in 2019. Planning for our trip this summer we found that a lot of campgrounds had no vacancies for dates we wanted or could only accommodate partial request. I contacted several campgrounds since fuel prices are so high thinking they may have cancellations but nothing has changed at this point

Alaska maybe slightly different in the fact nobody has been able to cross Canadian border for 2 seasons. We didn’t make any reservations in advance when we went in 2019. Planning for our trip this summer we found that a lot of campgrounds had no vacancies for dates we wanted or could only accommodate partial request. I contacted several campgrounds since fuel prices are so high thinking they may have cancellations but nothing has changed at this point
I assume you're talking about Alaskan campgrounds, correct?

Yes primarily Alaska, I haven’t seen any real problems in Canada other than Banff and Whistler which both filled up within a week of opening for reservations back in January

We booked sites for the first week of our trip thru BC and part of Alberta but we are winging it after that. Everywhere we called and booked had lots of room. We’ll take our chances. We have 11000 ish kilometres and 6 provinces in 8 to 10 weeks to cover. We are leaving Tuesday morning. First stop is the dam tour in revelstoke. Fridge is full and battery is charged. Let’s go campin. Quebec City here we come. 😊

Just got an email from our friend with the small RV park about 20 miles from us. She was reaching out to see what kind of activity we have as they're really slow. She's also experiencing a slew of cancelations as well.

She also said that The Great Outdoors, which is just down the street from them, is also empty. This will hurt the community as a whole and especially hard on those campground owners who have debt to service.

We are full timers from Florida, currently in Gatlinburg and enroute Glacier NP via numerous stops. We had no problems getting reservations. I think gas prices and the economy as a whole have created a lot of cancellations.

Latest resources

Back