Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I discussed this a bit during my recent 4 month RV trip about how quickly the house water filter was yucking up and discussing changing it out very 30 days or so. I also considered getting a clear filter housing so I could monitor it easily and know when to change a filter. I also ran a pre-filter at the spigot trying to capture rust and yuck before it even got to my RV's wet bay and house filter setup where I have a dual filter setup with sediment and carbon.

Upon returning home it's become even more concerning to me about water quality at campgrounds. Something simple as putting water in the dog bowl and realizing how clear it is here at home and it's not like that typically while traveling. The other indicator is my electric water kettle and how it's foggy weird looking in the coach yet perfectly clean here at home. I did not (knowingly) travel through any areas with hard water this trip but I have in the past and used the water softener.

It has just become evident to me that water quality in campgrounds is questionable. I'm not sure what standards they are held to compared to residential, if there is even such as thing? While I am not a germophobe and typically don't care if it's tap water or not and still don't but this calls into question what really is the quality of the water we're getting at campgrounds and how can we know as well as enforce some measure?

Campgrounds are bound by local and state laws by their location. Now inspection of their systems may not happen as often as it should.

For the most part it’s either a municipal water supply that the locals are drinking, or well water that just the campground uses. Municipal water is probably safe for the most part although sometimes not all that palatable. Well water can be much more questionable.

Since your last discussion on this my tank water is now double filtered and drinking water triple filtered (from the fridge dispenser). So I’m confident enough about it. But I always start with a full tank from home (my well water) because I know its good.

Also wouldnt hurt to “purify“ the water in the tank periodically as well as rotating out water that’s been sitting. We pay a lot of attention to keeping our waste tanks as clean as possible, but generally just fill and use our “fresh” water.

Mineral content varies greatly. This affects the clarity of water, but not the safety

Our water is triple filtered also. With that being said, my first layer of defense is my sediment filter. At my sister’s house, which is well water with a lot of iron, the sediment filter has to be changed every month if not sooner. Same as some campgrounds that I have visited. I do use a water softener and with all the additional filters, I’m satisfied that what I drink is good. Besides, I have survived drinking out of a water hose the first 15 years of my life.

The water at our park come from an aquifer 550' down. We had it tested the day we finalized the well and we used to test it every month, until that proved to be a redundant exercise.

Now we test it every 6 months but again, that seems to be a redundant exercise as well.

No pun intended . . . :)

I guess I'm a water snob because the taste of campground water is sometimes its just plain terrible. We purchase one of these filters and maintain our coach filter and fridge filter. After fout months of usage, the coach filter was still clean and white. Since we bought it we now use water straight from the facet. They do have one that you suppose to be able to pull lake water from the lake and be safe to drink.

Hard water is every where. It just varies as to the hardness.

I prefer to use a 0.5 micro filter (like a Whirlpool DB2, GE FXUVC, FXULC or Culligan D40 that reduces Mercury, Lead, Cysts and Asbestos) in a generic 10 inch "whole house" housing after my permanent spin down sediment filter (typically goes on a well pump). For drinking/cooking I buy RO water for 25¢ per gallon. Even the current dog only drinks RO water. Decided to do that decades ago after our then dog and cat drank water at a campground that we figured out had giardia cysts in the water.

There is also a pricey filter that claims to remove arsenic. I haven't tried it yet.

I always leave home with a full water tank. We use the tank for showers, washing dishes but not drinking. We drink bottled water.
I usually test the water from the spigot at a CG before hooking up my filter system to it. You can learn a lot by using a test strip.
Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNJJVKN/?tag=rvf01-20

Also using an inexpensive TDS meter will show you the amount of dissolved solids are in the water. You can't filter TDS out but it gives you an idea what you may be drinking
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073713G5F/?tag=rvf01-20

Where I live, municipal water, after the initial testing to get a CO at the CG, is usually re-tested 'by complaint'. Other areas may be different. Even with treated municipal water hydrants are flowed by the water dept. annually to flush out some of the bad funk that can grow there (and make sure they work on that day).

Ask any firefighter what they can see when opening the hydrant. Other than that the weak point is where you connect your hose and how the previous guy used it.

On the other hand, I have not seen a thread here about someone getting sick from camp water.

Latest resources

Back