Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JennieMcCraw

RVF Newbee
We are planning a trip to an RV park in San Carlos, Mexico later this year. My question concerns crossing the border with our dog. I am trying to understand what the process is for both entering and leaving Mexico. We will have her micro chipped and our vet will fill out a health certificate for us but does anyone have any information about how this goes both entering and leaving the country? Specifically, do we get out of the car with her for any kind of visual inspection either coming or going and does this hold up the process of getting into either country? Thanks in advance for any information.

You just need the health papers. I have never been asked for them coming or going

The last time I went they didn't even ask about the dog - they just wanted an extra $20 each to stamp passports. Ahora por favor. Gracias.

If you trust the US Government, the State Department has some travel warnings regarding travel to Mexico. Probably a quick review of their comments might be useful. All the recent noise about Mexico travel, it might make sense to look into which areas you will traverse while in Mexico.

If you trust the US Government, the State Department has some travel warnings regarding travel to Mexico. Probably a quick review of their comments might be useful. All the recent noise about Mexico travel, it might make sense to look into which areas you will traverse while in Mexico.

Wow! Out of 31 states, only Campeche and Yucatan states (both on the Yucatan peninsula) are listed as "normal precautions." All of the others have various levels of increased travel warnings due to crime and kidnapping.

Sonora state, where the OP is planning on going, is just one step down from "Do Not Travel" and there are significant travel restrictions and prohibitions for US government employees within the state of Sonora.

Wow! Out of 31 states, only Campeche and Yucatan states (both on the Yucatan peninsula) are listed as "normal precautions." All of the others have various levels of increased travel warnings due to crime and kidnapping.

Sonora state, where the OP is planning on going, is just one step down from "Do Not Travel" and there are significant travel restrictions and prohibitions for US government employees within the state of Sonora.
Wow were from Canada and RV to Mexico most years and have travelled all of Mexico. As a matter of fact we are in Mexico now, about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta. I tend to tell most people it is a little dangerous traveling to Mexico but once your through the States the dangerous part of the trip is done. 😂

Latest resources

Back