• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JerryA

RVF Newbee
Fulltimer
No
Hi All,

We're a newly retired couple planning a trip to Mt Rushmore at the end of September. We're renting a trailer, about 25', in Rapid City. Are there any recommendations for a campsite in the general area? The most important things to us are:
  1. Elec, 30A, Water
  2. Somewhat separated from other campers, at least with some shade and not right on top of them.
A somewhat simple ask but I'm having trouble finding a good site. Maybe the websites don't show enough of the available sites?

Thanks very much.
Jerry

Hi All,

We're a newly retired couple planning a trip to Mt Rushmore at the end of September. We're renting a trailer, about 25', in Rapid City. Are there any recommendations for a campsite in the general area? The most important things to us are:
  1. Elec, 30A, Water
  2. Somewhat separated from other campers, at least with some shade and not right on top of them.
A somewhat simple ask but I'm having trouble finding a good site. Maybe the websites don't show enough of the available sites?

Thanks very much.
Jerry
I just did a quick check for RV Parks around Custer South Dakota. There seems to be lots to choose from.

When we were there last (2018) we stayed a Beaver Lake Campground. This was in October so we were not worried about a shady site. We were in the open but that's what we wanted at that time of the year. There were some sites in the shade though.

This one appears to be treed. Fort Welikit Family Campground - Custer, South Dakota - RV LIFE Campground Reviews

I'm sure you will enjoy the area. We certainly did. Good luck and safe travels.

Darre;ll;

Have you tried Custer State Park? The park has several campgrounds in the area.

Latest resources

Back