Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Camping World says I need to replace my entire roof?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

5WLife

RVF Newbee
The backstory:

We have a 2014 Dutchmen Infinity fifth wheel. We purchased the unit used from Camping World in 2018. In 2019 we had the roof "bubbling" where basically there was a pocket that was catching air as we would drive down the road. The solution was to remove the air and re-adhere the membrane that was separating. I have limited knowledge of RV roofs, but apparently the layer above the "rubber roof" was what was bubbling.

Currently, we have a new "bubble" in the back of the rig. We have no leaks and the roof is solid to walk on, but this is the diagnosis from Camping World:

"the roof is unable to be repaired in the bubbling section due to the wood separating from the material. If we were to try and inject adhesive it would not hold the roof since there is adhesive already applied to the wood from the original install and it would not dry properly. The technicians' recommendation is to have the roof replaced which is roughly 48 hours of labor"​
Does anyone have some insight about this? Any questions I should ask the technician when I speak to him tomorrow?

Anyone with experience, does it sound like my roof needs to be replaced to you?

It never hurts to get a second opinion, especially if the only opinion you have is from Camping World.

That bubbling thing happens with rubber roofs eventually. But it surprises me that a 7-year-old rig is having the problem. As far as Camping World's diagnosis, I don't quite understand it. If the bubble is near an edge of the roof, I would remove the trim and peel the rubber roof back to expose the affected area to inspect it. If there is no roof rot there, I'd clean it thoroughly, apply adhesive and reseal it. I'm no pro but I've had roof issues with my Alpenlite 5th wheel and have done that before myself. Mine had rot so I had to replace a section of plywood as well. My rig was about 18 years old at the time though. I'd definitely get a second and maybe third opinion.

I'm no expert and I'm not advising this is a perfect method, but I've seen some pretty nasty cuts, tears, and holes patched very effectively with adhesive from underneath and then sealant applied over top. I have a buddy with a "hunting trailer", he has literally cut out squares and, using oversized patches, resealed over holes torn by low hanging branches. He swears he'll replace it when the patches don't hold.

Take a look around, see if you can find a patch kit - if so, probably there's some DIYing to be done. If the alternative is a complete re-roof, what harm in trying?

Last edited:
There are very few CW stores that employ qualified RV techs. Having a CW re-do an RV roof would be like having the speedy oil change place replace your blown car engine. I would NEVER use one of their facilities to have the type of work done that you are looking at.

Shop around, check with other RV dealers. Possibly do some research and see if there are any mobile RV techs that do roofs in your area.

There are very few CW stores that employ qualified RV techs. Having a CW re-do an RV roof would be like having the speedy oil change place replace your blown car engine. I would NEVER use one of their facilities to have the type of work done that you are looking at.

Shop around, check with other RV dealers. Possibly do some research and see if there are any mobile RV techs that do roofs in your area.
I would say that is a pretty charitable assessment of CW! ;) I don’t think I could be quite as kind.:rolleyes:

TJ

If you want to keep the unit and it really needs a new roof ( which you make it sound like it does ) I'd Contact Flex roof. Costly yes ,but once on you'll never worry about your roof again.

Here’s a perception. CW probably doesn’t want to do a patch job because then they have to cover their butts for a certain amount of time after any job is done. Or are supposed to. So for them it’s more cost affective to just replace the whole thing at the owners expense and then cover their butts after. I’ve never heard of anyone willing to do a patch job on anything unless they can say it’s going to last 3 months. I even had oil change places turn my old ‘75 bobcat away back in the day because they said oil top-off for free until next scheduled oil change and my car leaked oil like it was free.

Latest resources

Back