Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ConfusedChicken

RVF Newbee
Wife and I have a down payment on a 23 Mini Lite 2205s. Weight is 5200, payload 600.
We drive a 15 expedition that has capacity of 9200, but payload of only 1400. Weight of us, dogs, crates, tongue, batteries, and gas is just over 1600.
Dealer of course says we are good.
Spoke to 2 hitch companies: one says payload sticker 10-20% low and we are good. Other says talk to Ford (who referred us to them).
Spoke to hitch manufacturer (Blue Ox) who stated that even with their best hitch it does not affect what your vehicle can CARRY but what it can TOW. This was my concern. The tv sales guy seems great, and I know they technically can’t sell an unsafe setup. But now what?

I easily towed a 5582 lb trailer with an Expedition, but I was the only passenger. Make sure you get a weight distribution hitch, with anti sway bars. You will also need a trailer brake controller inside the SUV.

Don’t know about internal weight

Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway hitch
Electronic Brake Controller

that big truck will pull that no problem! we're pulling a 32' with a '17 Suburban. Trailer weighs 5950 dry.

Wife and I have a down payment on a 23 Mini Lite 2205s. Weight is 5200, payload 600.
We drive a 15 expedition that has capacity of 9200, but payload of only 1400. Weight of us, dogs, crates, tongue, batteries, and gas is just over 1600.
Dealer of course says we are good.
Spoke to 2 hitch companies: one says payload sticker 10-20% low and we are good. Other says talk to Ford (who referred us to them).
Spoke to hitch manufacturer (Blue Ox) who stated that even with their best hitch it does not affect what your vehicle can CARRY but what it can TOW. This was my concern. The tv sales guy seems great, and I know they technically can’t sell an unsafe setup. But now what?
USA manufacturers generally include a full tank of gas in the curb weight. This means it does not count against payload.

But, the weight of all passengers, dogs, gear, etc. does count, as does the tongue weight of the trailer.

I suspect payload in the Expedition will be your limiting factor, not the tow rating.

The specs (stickers on the door, owner's manual, etc.) tell you what is a safe setup. A salesman can tell you anything.

Good on you for weighing. From the numbers you gave, technically you're 200 lbs over your payload capacity. Can you shed 200 lbs worth of stuff or load the trailer differently to lower the tongue weight by 200 lbs (while keeping it 10-15% of the trailer weight)?

That is with absolutely nothing in the car except us, the 4 dogs, and their crates. I could take the batteries off and put in trailer storage saving about 150 on the tongue. And 20g propane instead of 30, save another 20lb.

Sounds like the dogs might have to stay home or find their own ride? Batteries placed somewhere close to or behind the trailer axle would certainly help. You could also pull the propane tank(s) and place them at or behind the TT axle, enclosed spaces are supposed to have no more than 2 tanks or 80lbs total of propane (can't remember the exact legal requirements). It would make for more work when setting up but kids can be hlepful, I'm shopping now and hoping my kids will be too as I don't want to buy a TT only to find it was a mistake due to lack of interest.

Whatever you do, make sure you have adequate tongue weight for the trailer to track true and not get all weeble wobbly on you, that's never any fun.

Lol we are actually getting the trailer FOR the dogs. We travel to dockdiving events all around the country and hotel costs and dog fees have skyrocketed in the last year. Moving the batteries and propane would save over 200 lbs on the tongue, and we’d be back below payload. like you said a pain but ya gotta do what ya gotta do 🤷‍♂️.

That is with absolutely nothing in the car except us, the 4 dogs, and their crates. I could take the batteries off and put in trailer storage saving about 150 on the tongue. And 20g propane instead of 30, save another 20lb.
As I posted above, if you are counting the fuel in the vehicle gas tank as payload, don't. That's included in the manufacturer-specified curb weight. That'll free-up 140-150 lbs in your calculations, depending on how large your gas tank is.

This is my advice / opinion. Use what you find useful.

Towing guides from Ford or other sources are starting points, but are not to be relied on in the specific (that is, for your SUV). And, you CERTAINLY don't want to rely on any salesman, Ford or RV.

What you rely on in the specific are the stickers on the door jambs, etc., in your specific vehicle and trailer.

Key specs (from my GM stickers):
GVWR
GCWR
Curb Weight
Max Payload
SAE J2807 Trailer Weight Rating (TWR for vehicle configuration)
Conventional TWR​
Max tongue weight​
Tire and Loading Information
The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed (should be the same as Max Payload on the other sticker)
From the stickers on your travel trailer, GVWR and use 10-12% of that for the tongue weight (alternatively, weigh your trailer when loaded). The UVW (empty weight) and specified tongue weight when empty are not useful except as starting points for adding your own cargo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back