Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

aemanc

RVF Regular
I'm sure there are a million of these and I know the it is easier to get a doctorate in rocket science then figure out what Ford is trying to say, but maybe someone can give me a solid answer

I convinced the wife to go camping as long as I rent a TT. Found the following for rent.

2016 Jayco Jay Feather 254​

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)
view-question.png
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)
view-question.png
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)
view-question.png
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)
view-question.png

Truck is 1400 payload GVWR 6500

Trip is an hour away all highway little to no hills or mountains

Note my truck has the 3.55 Ratio and states 7500 (16 F150 Screw 5.5 3.55 2.7L)

Will have WD hitch

Everything I read I am ok, just want to check with you guys while I can still cancel...

I don't expect to be totally loaded down, There is a bunch of us going camping so I dont need to carry a lot of gear, also thinking about heading up early to set up and letting the wife drive with the kids in her own car probably 500 lbs in people and animal plus some light gear most will be in the trailer.

Thanks!

From the numbers you provide, I don’t see any red flags. You will be at the top end of the truck’s rated capacity, but not over unless you load more than about 600# of “people and animals plus some light gear” into the truck.

Take it easy and exercise caution when driving, and I think you should be fine. Enjoy your camping trip!

TJ

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking, after a bunch of thinking I think I’m going to drive up by myself earlier in the day then have the wife come with the kids and dog later, she can take some of the gear and then will leave a few hundred lbs of weight off of the truck.

it’s an easy drive, all highway I can park it at 55 and just cruise

Heres where people get it wrong. You stated almost all highway. Highway is where it goes wrong. Just about anything will pull there rated weight up hill and down hill on most mountain roads that are not at highways speeds. But how they will handle a given load when coming around a corner beside a semi and hit a nasty wind surge and there trailer starts the death sway Thats what you need to know your tow set up wont develope. Travel trailers biggest saftey issue in my opinion is when sway starts can you get it under controL. So be careful of your speeds have a pretty good idea what it takes to produce sway and how to get it under control if it occurs.

I frequent a highway with extreem wind surges and corners and hills that block them I see the trailers of all sizes semis with triples are the best whipping side to side covering the entire highway often. Learn how to control it because it can get out of control in no time. And it can happen t any set up with little warning.

My only thing is you said you would be using a WDH and this is a rental. So the WDH is or is not setup to your truck??? If not, then the WDH may very well not work as intended. Just a thought you should consider.

LSG has it right! my thing, just because your F 150 can pull it ,can it stop it? probably not in the distance or time you may need in heavy traffic, or down hill.

Let's look at the numbers first. There is a maximum tow weight the truck is rated to pull. Say it is 9000 lbs. For safety, the rule is then 80% of that which would be the maximum gross weight of the trailer one should attempt to pull. That would be 7200 lbs. We don't care about empty or dry weight. We never operate in that situation. In each case, there is an empty or dry weight and a maximum gross weight. The difference between these two is the cargo-carrying capacity of the trailer. This cargo weight is comprised of the battery, propane tanks, water, gray and black tank contents, along with other "stuff" we load into the trailer. Linens, dishes, food, clothes, books, folding chairs, folding table, portable grill, leveling blocks, wheel chocks, 30A extension cord, toolbox, ........ I could go on.

The next is the maximum cargo weight of the truck. It is usually posted on a placard on the driver's side door. The cargo weight is comprised of passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight, and other "stuff" you might carry in the truck. The WDH {they are heavy}, cooler, dog, generator, generator gas, spare LP tank, and ......... I could go on.

If you are below the 80% number on the trailer weight vs. truck towing weight, and you are at or below the maximum cargo weight of the truck, you should be good to go.

The next item is to get the WDH adjusted correctly such that it transfers the tongue weight correctly to the truck. The trailer and truck must be on a level place to do this. There are many U-Tube videos showing how to measure and adjust. Once adjusted, again you are good to go.

All these numbers are important for safe trailering. And don't forget, the maximum tow numbers for the truck are to assure one can safely tow and stop the rig. I've seen more than one slide into an intersection. There will be fingernail prints found on the steering wheel.

Better to have too much truck than too much trailer. And please, don't overload anything. Remember that trailer tires have a maximum rated speed. Please don't exceed this speed. It is for your safety and that of others.

Bringing this back to the surface. To provide everyone an update, I ended up not towing this TT last year, 2 days before the trip my daughter got sick and we canceled last minute. Well I am back at it this year but decided to take a smaller approach (thanks to all of your advice).

Settled on a 21.5 ft 17 Wolfpup 16BHS
Dry 3097
gross 3877
hitch 377

Seems to be much more in my capability range and will be (hopefully) a lot less stressful to drive. I am getting it in 2 weeks to go up to Maine for the weekend then again in Sept

Bringing this back to the surface. To provide everyone an update, I ended up not towing this TT last year, 2 days before the trip my daughter got sick and we canceled last minute. Well I am back at it this year but decided to take a smaller approach (thanks to all of your advice).

Settled on a 21.5 ft 17 Wolfpup 16BHS
Dry 3097
gross 3877
hitch 377

Seems to be much more in my capability range and will be (hopefully) a lot less stressful to drive. I am getting it in 2 weeks to go up to Maine for the weekend then again in Sept
Sorry to hear about your daughter but sounds like a good choice. If you had the 3.5EB or the 5.0, I would have said go for the bigger trailer but the 2.7 is not really meant for towing.

Sorry to hear about your daughter but sounds like a good choice. If you had the 3.5EB or the 5.0, I would have said go for the bigger trailer but the 2.7 is not really meant for towing.
I towed this trailer 4 hours up to Maine back in August, Truck was loaded with Gear and had 3 of us. No issues, truck didnt seem stressed at all (even got almost 11 mpg woohoo).

Picking it up again to finally do the trip with my daughter, much closer, all highway low elevation and less gear easy ride.

Latest resources

Back