Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can you help my old girl find smooth roads?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Merrill

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Jamboree
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hi there

My wife and I are planning our trip from northern California to Detroit (and back into Canada) and want to find the smoothest route. We love our old Class C (1990) but on the trip west she took a bit of a beating because there were many highways that were not friendly to her old suspension. The trouble is, one can't tell from looking at a map (maps, remember those?). For instance, who would have known that Highway 70 between Roswell NM and Alamogordo is a smooth as silk and a pure joy to drive -- as opposed to the nightmare between Odessa, TX and Carlsbad. On the map they all look the same.

We are considering three routes: (a) Reno to Illinois vis I-80, then I-94 to Detroit (b) Carson City eastbound on Hwy 50 (Loneliest Road in America) all the way to Cincinnati, then I-75 to Detroit or (c) I70 eastbound to (east of) Indianapolis then I-75 to Detroit.

We are not in a hurry (finally we learned how to take our time) and love the idea of finding and travelling roads that our beautiful old girl can sail on. She is probably the last RV we will own and we want to take super good care of her.

Any advice? BTW if you think I should post this at another place on the site please let me know.

Thank you and all the best.

Merrill

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpg
    IMG_5337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I just traveled most part of that path. Only tip is to follow interstate highways, though the toll on i90 is pretty expensive and honestly i90 is really rough in some sections but going local can be even worse.
Baltimore and Jercy city 's roads are hooooorible. 3 mph speed ...

I gave up on trying to find smoother roads because they change so rapidly and there is always the unexpected construction areas. I pick the routes that will provide the most scenic, historical, and cultural enjoyment, and just slow it down when things get rough.

Ive been back-roading on two lane highways in the South West for a month and have been pleasantly surprised, Probably 70/30 good to more rough roads and all of it tolerable. And the pay off is that we are seeing country that weve never seen before and really enjoying the journey. A couple thjngs thst might help are new shocks and making sure your tires are not inflated any more than necessary.

Well I live in Illinois and although they are starting to work on the roads in this state I can tell you that there are horrible roads in this state. I mean pot holes that will blow out your tires! My advice would be to stay off the roads in Illinois.

Latest resources

Back