Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Can you tell we are new at this?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Arvie

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
JayFlight SLX 8 212QBW
RV Length
21 ft
Fulltimer
No
We are pulling the JAYCO THROUGH Nevada with our 2016 Ford F150 which has 41000 miles.
And has that eco system where the truck kind of stops when you do and goes when light turns green. Well this trip the truck stalls and needs restart 2-3 times. Then it runs fine. 60 mph steady. We are also noticing a decline in mpg each time we fill it.. This is a car question but came up while pulling Arvie so just curious if anyone has an idea. We found a mechanic and hope to get in this week.

I think you can deselect (shut off) that auto-start-stop feature. As for milage, since you are transiting Nevada you are probably encountering a lot of grades and if so can’t really evaluate consistency in fuel economy. Drive it to Nebraska and then start checking it while headed east. I doubt it needs a mechanic.

I think you can deselect (shut off) that auto-start-stop feature. As for milage, since you are transiting Nevada you are probably encountering a lot of grades and if so can’t really evaluate consistency in fuel economy. Drive it to Nebraska and then start checking it while headed east. I doubt it needs a mechanic.
Appreciate your response
we are new at this. Last summer we went to the Oregon coast and averaged about 11 mpg pulling our 21’ Jayco RV. Today we made only
7.5 mpg and with a 22 gallon gas tank we are flirting with an empty tank as gas stations are few and far between. Nebraska is far away

we are camped outside of Ely NV and will try to find a mechanic and ask him about the fuel injectors

Appreciate your response
we are new at this. Last summer we went to the Oregon coast and averaged about 11 mpg pulling our 21’ Jayco RV. Today we made only
7.5 mpg and with a 22 gallon gas tank we are flirting with an empty tank as gas stations are few and far between. Nebraska is far away

we are camped outside of Ely NV and will try to find a mechanic and ask him about the fuel injectors
I can almost agree with Rich, I say almost because head or tail wind also affects the MPG. Ely is a good climb, and for the record, 5MPG Can be good uphill towing.

The oregon coast is not a good comparison to Nevada, especially on 50 but 80 has some long pulls too. Just consider how much more throttle you are using, the gear you are in, the rpm you are maintaining to get up those grades, and the altitude difference.

Nothing wrong with consulting a mechanic, but he’ll tell you there’s nothing wrong with your injectors. Or depending on his ethics, try to sell you new ones.

Another thing to consider is your fuel. The more ethanol in your gas, the worse fuel economy you’ll get, so the more fuel you burn. You don’t notice it much in a car, but in a motorhome or pulling a trailer, it makes a big difference. So try to be picky about the fuel you buy, and watch those long stretches of 50 with no services.

I would be concerned about the stalling, are you saying that the engine stalls out while driving? If so, that sounds like a fairly serious concern.

I would be concerned about the stalling, are you saying that the engine stalls out while driving? If so, that sounds like a fairly serious concern.
The truck has the eco system where the motor automatically stops when you stop and starts again when you press on the gas to move forward. Once we are on the road it runs great.
thank you so much for your response!

The oregon coast is not a good comparison to Nevada, especially on 50 but 80 has some long pulls too. Just consider how much more throttle you are using, the gear you are in, the rpm you are maintaining to get up those grades, and the altitude difference.

Nothing wrong with consulting a mechanic, but he’ll tell you there’s nothing wrong with your injectors. Or depending on his ethics, try to sell you new ones.

Another thing to consider is your fuel. The more ethanol in your gas, the worse fuel economy you’ll get, so the more fuel you burn. You don’t notice it much in a car, but in a motorhome or pulling a trailer, it makes a big difference. So try to be picky about the fuel you buy, and watch those long stretches of 50 with no services.
Excellent thought about the fuel! Will let you all know,,

The truck has the eco system where the motor automatically stops when you stop and starts again when you press on the gas to move forward. Once we are on the road it runs great.
thank you so much for your response!
I'm aware of how a vehicle stop-start system works. In your post you stated "Well this trip the truck stalls and needs restart 2-3 times". Stalling implies it's stopping when it shouldn't, which could be a sign of a serious issue.

Maybe auto-start-stop doesn't like towing. Try disabling it and see if it still stalls.

Latest resources

Back