RV Length
43'
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 450HP
TOW/TOAD
2022 Jeep Unlimited Sport S w/ Air Force One and Blue Ox
I’m toying with the idea for a replacement captain and co-pilot chair on my rv. Don’t get me wrong the ones in my 2015 Dutch Star are great quality but having had multiple back surgeries something with controllable lumbar support, massage, etc would be welcomed. I’m not really finding anything amazing with some standard google search and was wondering if anyone had gone down that route and the result you got.

When I first got my coach, I hated it, it hurt, etc. The seat broke in as did I and now it's comfortable. I was willing to pay anything to find something better and replace/upgrade it but didn't look that hard nor come up with much. While I don't have an answer and yours is obviously not new, I don't know if it's new to you. Maybe alternatives such as something you can sit on or a back support would be something to consider for your seat instead of replacing it, spending thousands, to find it didn't help?

When I first got my coach, I hated it, it hurt, etc. The seat broke in as did I and now it's comfortable. I was willing to pay anything to find something better and replace/upgrade it but didn't look that hard nor come up with much. While I don't have an answer and yours is obviously not new, I don't know if it's new to you. Maybe alternatives such as something you can sit on or a back support would be something to consider for your seat instead of replacing it, spending thousands, to find it didn't help?
That of course is always a concern. As I said the seat in and of itself is quite good. I drove Houston -> NY over 3 long days and can say it did it's job admirably. It does though lack some features. I was hoping there was a great company making aftermarket seats that would blow my brain. It seems that's not the case. It's a shame because i feel that the captain's chair is probably the most used chair. Especially when they swivel into the living space.

Just for comparison's sake I spent $2600 to have my two captains chairs rebuilt with new foam and covered in new Ultra Leather that matches the floors I had installed. The comfort is better but still not what I was hoping.

Just for comparison's sake I spent $2600 to have my two captains chairs rebuilt with new foam and covered in new Ultra Leather that matches the floors I had installed. The comfort is better but still not what I was hoping.
Well that’s a huge bummer, but concretizes me staying with my seats for now. Thanks for sharing

Well that’s a huge bummer, but concretizes me staying with my seats for now. Thanks for sharing
At the time I had my seats rebuilt and recovered I checked with several other guys on RV forums that had also had their seats re-done or had gotten quotes from upholstery shops. It seemed like $2600 wasn't the cheapest but it wasn't the most expensive either. But when you look at the price of 2 brand new captain's chairs at $4000 PLUS it seemed like it was worth taking a chance. I'm glad that they look like brand new and they matched the new luxury vinyl tile and carpet we had installed. But there is something about the high density foam that isn't to my liking. After about 2.5-3 hours the back of my legs feels like they are on fire! I have to stop and walk around a bit. Then I'm good for another couple hours.

At the time I had my seats rebuilt and recovered I checked with several other guys on RV forums that had also had their seats re-done or had gotten quotes from upholstery shops. It seemed like $2600 wasn't the cheapest but it wasn't the most expensive either. But when you look at the price of 2 brand new captain's chairs at $4000 PLUS it seemed like it was worth taking a chance. I'm glad that they look like brand new and they matched the new luxury vinyl tile and carpet we had installed. But there is something about the high density foam that isn't to my liking. After about 2.5-3 hours the back of my legs feels like they are on fire! I have to stop and walk around a bit. Then I'm good for another couple hours.
That’s definitely a bummer, overall then I shouldn’t complain. When I drove it back from Austin to NY I was able to do 6 hour legs before stopping for fuel, food and bathroom. Even on the third and last day I was able to do a 14 hour day without leaving me in too much pain.

I’ll count that a success then and keep the status quo.

Latest resources

Back