Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

John S.

RVF Newbee
I have a 2012 Forest river Georgetown 360 DS and my captains seat are delaminating I know they won't be under any warranty but does any one know how the manufacturer of them is so I can purchase new ones.

Picture? Sadly many of us deal with this from cheap "leather" used.

Another option is to reupholster. That's what I'm doing in January. Lisa Bauer's company in Dubuque, IA has the original patterns from Flexsteel and their reputation for quality work is well known.

It ain't cheap, however. It's costing me $2200 (includes tax) for two captain's chairs. Surprisingly, the bulk of the cost is the material, not the labor. I'm replacing it with some ultra-something leather like fabric.

But the cost to replace the seats outright with something similar is closer to $6,000.

I think what burns me the most is the salesman had to know this when I bought back in 2017. Maybe it slipped his mind. He was in every other way honest and forthcoming.

And I'm really disappointed in Newmar for not supporting us on this. The only option they offered was to reupholster with the same material, mostly at our expense. How is that even an option?

When I was flying small airplanes, we use to joke, "If you have the time, fly". Mostly because something always delayed you to the point that driving was faster.

With RV's it's more like, "If you have the patience and money, RV". ;)

Did I mention I'm going to Nappanee in December to fix a slide issue they supposedly fixed in February? Yeah, it's like that with RV's.

Good luck in your quest for seats.

We had the same issue with ours as well. There are experts which we are not, but could not see spending $2200 for reupholstery. I bought a used commercial sewing machine and bought some remanent material and Twila and I did it ourselves. Cost about $250 per seat which includes the price of the sewing machine.

Attachments

• 7F768151-D34D-4EA1-8660-4E0EDC0FC29A.jpeg
    7F768151-D34D-4EA1-8660-4E0EDC0FC29A.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 5
  • E3C15444-374B-4DCC-848D-363C6A674B2E.jpeg
    E3C15444-374B-4DCC-848D-363C6A674B2E.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 5
We had the same issue with ours as well. There are experts which we are not, but could not see spending $2200 for reupholstery. I bought a used commercial sewing machine and bought some remanent material and Twila and I did it ourselves. Cost about $250 per seat which includes the price of the sewing machine.
Nice work! Admittedly I'm spending more but it's not worth the hassle and uncertainty in my case.

Latest resources

Back