Chassis
Ford F-53
Engine
Ford Godzilla V-8
TOW/TOAD
None at this point
Fulltimer
No
Hi, have a 2021 Baystar with a Carefree Awning, BT-12, control. Controller beeps every 30 seconds or so when the power is switched on. Newmar's website says the motion sensor needs new batteries, before I go ripping and tearing, does anyone know where the sensor is located? Is it by the awning motor? First time Class A owner, learning a lot of new stuff, a tad more complex than the old 5'er

Hi, have a 2021 Baystar with a Carefree Awning, BT-12, control. Controller beeps every 30 seconds or so when the power is switched on. Newmar's website says the motion sensor needs new batteries, before I go ripping and tearing, does anyone know where the sensor is located? Is it by the awning motor? First time Class A owner, learning a lot of new stuff, a tad more complex than the old 5'er
In my coach it's on the wall just forward of the pegboard bay.

In my coach it's on the wall just forward of the pegboard bay.
Thanks Neil, I thought it would be on the awning not inside.

The carefree motion sensor is either attached to the back of motor head (forward arm) or inside the head. Mine was originally attached to back as the arm assy had an older generation motion sensor inside, apparently Newmar was using up in stock arms. The original sensor had the data cable cut off at the top of the arm. After having some issues with communication between the sensor and control Carfree pointed me to a firmware upgrade for the BT-12 system that ultimately resoled the beeping issue. As part of that process I moved the sensor to the inside (removed the old style sensor)of the motor head as the carefree install manual indicated.

The carefree motion sensor is either attached to the back of motor head (forward arm) or inside the head. Mine was originally attached to back as the arm assy had an older generation motion sensor inside, apparently Newmar was using up in stock arms. The original sensor had the data cable cut off at the top of the arm. After having some issues with communication between the sensor and control Carfree pointed me to a firmware upgrade for the BT-12 system that ultimately resoled the beeping issue. As part of that process I moved the sensor to the inside (removed the old style sensor)of the motor head as the carefree install manual indicated.
Thanks Steve, I did some more digging and found one vid that showed where the sensor is and how to change batteries. Who knew there was batteries inside the head of the motor assembly, I am going to take a look in the next few days to see if I can change batts, that is if it quits storming. Thanks again.

2022 Baystar … motion sensor screwed on back of motor housing … leaks create moisture in detector … see cheap gasket in pic … changed battery … still beeps … where is firmware upgrade ?
5DE4AE4D-C051-42E9-A047-4558D5DA3723.jpeg

And you pray the batteries don’t leak. I had quite few things ruined by leaking batteries.

There are batteries in the motion sensor?

Edit: I guess only if you have the Bluetooth option....?

2022 Baystar … motion sensor screwed on back of motor housing … leaks create moisture in detector … see cheap gasket in pic … changed battery … still beeps … where is firmware upgrade ?
Moisture ruins circuit board, it’s dead. Beep is because there is no communication between this wireless sensor and the inside control unit.

Exactly where mine was found; filled with water as Newmar installed it upside down. No gasket around screw heads. Badgered them into sending a new one that I plan to either install inside the motor head per the old instructions or on top with the carefree logo up, screw heads down. can’t help with BT update tho.

Attachments

• 1E066B1A-0310-4438-9359-0F46F0962B06.jpeg
    1E066B1A-0310-4438-9359-0F46F0962B06.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 0EE81B0A-EC69-4C3E-A63E-7126213FFEAD.jpeg
    0EE81B0A-EC69-4C3E-A63E-7126213FFEAD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Latest resources

Back