• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Cell service

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have an extra cell phone that I use as a hot spot for data. Works pretty good. Just turn off the ringer so you don't hear all those F#*%^#g spam calls

Very subjective question? So much depends on how you intend to use it (internet), where & how you travel, your budget & to some degree your technical acumen.
The Mobile Internet Resource Center provides some very good information on cellular service & types of equipment one can use to secure internet for your RV.
I have been using Peplink products for a few years & have been very happy with them. Verizon is my cell phone provider as well as a data (internet) provider. AT&T is also used for data.

You might start by watching my video on the subject. I can consult with your further to help you work through this subject.

We don't stream, turn on our lights, or bake bread using devises through the internet. We use our internet for simple stuff. Verizon phones (hotspot feature) has been great for us.

What is the best way to get cell phone service and internet in my RV?
Many of us here are geeks and we've spent years and worked hard honing our cellular and wi-fi setups in our RV's. I personally have explored a lot of equipment, antennas, and setups and have really enjoyed the Pepwave products you can read a lot about on this forum (use search feature as desired). Pepwave makes an extremely reliable and stable product and evolves continuously. The user interface is simple for the non tech savvy yet finds the perfect balance for the geeks that want more control but out of the box it's perfect for most.

In 2022 my personal recommendation is finding a cellular device that has a CAT 18 modem or higher. For RVing where we're in remote locations often you want the best antenna setup to bring in those weak signals. I'm not a fan of Weboost cellular boosters, I used those long ago, never needed one since getting a Pepwave. With the CAT 18 or higher modems you'll have a 4 cellular antenna setup called 4 by 4 MIMO (4x4 MIMO) which improves signal and speed. Ideally you want your cellular antenna on the roof with a 360 degree unobstructed view. I prefer Pepwave's cellular antennas or Parsec's offerings. As 5G is emerging and if you want to spend money that will buy you time before your next upgrade, consider a cellular device with a 5G modem/support.

For Wi-Fi in 2022 I'd look for Wi-Fi 6 or 6E capability. Wi-Fi doesn't have to be on the roof unless you want to draw in signals such as campground wi-fi which most are unusable. You're mainly looking for wi-fi broadcasting inside your RV and the paddle antennas are typically sufficient for that.

There are two companies I recommend consulting. The first one, 5GStore.com is who I typically use and the other is MobileMustHave.com who also does a great job with their YouTube videos you may want to search YouTube for.

If you have any questions feel free to ask on this forum for others to learn from what you find or ask. We'll gladly assist.

Neal has provided some good advice. Many on this forum have elected to use Peplink devices for the reasons Neal has outlined.
If you decide to go with a Peplink device, it's important for you to understand 1st level support is provided by the seller of the equipment. Some suppliers to not provide telephone support or charge for it. By the way, this is not unique to Peplink.
Good luck & safe travels.

Neal,
Imagine you are starting from scratch. What else is needed to get that bundle working in the DS?

I managed for few years with using the old WiFi Ranger modem, but it is getting too old.
Thanks.

I'm a fan of the Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G as I have two in my coach. The pepwave antenna is good. Just note it has 6.5ft leads if I recall correctly which was fine for me when I used them as I went from the AV box straight up to the roof. Just plan out where it's going to go. I would also inquire with 5GStore.com to compare pricing and get your best deal.

Latest resources

Back