Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
I see many folks store their powered equipment without changing fluids, leaving that task to before the first trip in camping season.
It has always been my practice to change engine oil and any other fluid in need of changing prior to storage.
My thinking is to remove any built up acids and moisture prior to storage.

Thoughts?

I'm no expert in this area so my response is worth $.0001 but in my opinion I'll change it based on the service schedule and not storage. For example I have it changed annually at FL. If I hit a mileage that required the change then that would be the other trigger for a change. I think history has shown we are changing oil too frequently. Remember when cars was 3,000, then I think it went to 7500, and now it's per your engine life monitor.

What @Neal said but if I were part timing and my unit saw 6+ months of storage time, I can see how one might find it more convenient and easier to keep track of by just doing prior to or coming out of storage.

In that case, I would probably do it coming out of storage. Doing it before storage, your fresh fluids are just going to sit, just like the old fluids would have. Not necessarily bad, but I don’t think there is a huge advantage to one or the other except that if you do it when coming out of storage, there is zero question about the quality of your fluids. Also, if you do it before storage and the unit ends up sitting a lot, lot longer than expected, then maybe you just wasted fluids.

When attending Camp Freightliner many years ago, the instructor recommended changing fluids prior to storage. His rationale was the oil contains acid along with other contaminants.

Looking up this topic on the Rectangle Of Knowledge, i.e. IPhone, there are many opinions. Here is the closest technical source I can quickly find

Over the years I've discovered the RV community is full of "experts" and a lot of the same questions are repeated over and over, primarily on Facebook groups. Tank treatments, tire pressures, tire covers, on and on, it almost gets entertaining at times (or sad to see, not sure which). The best resource is probably the manufacturer of your engine, or a service center. The question will come down to "how long will it be in storage?", "What type of oil is in it?" If years is one thing, 2-3 months is probably different. I know Mike at Camp FL makes people think you should also store on plywood so your tires are not in contact with Earth. But the question is how many years does it take before some action like this (or myth, we need mythbusters) has any benefit?

What's more acidic, new oil or used oil? And that also depends on the type of oil. Synthetic, Mineral, etc.

Yikes...you're supposed to change the oil 😉 I do it based on mileage and only when it's a bright sunny day and my back doesn't hurt (too much). Now, about those water tanks...Blessings to ALL

As in many topics, the term Storage is relative. To your point Neal, the length of "Storage" drives what type of "preparation" is necessary. Also, the type of fuel, Gasoline or Diesel, makes a difference. Also, in my case 7 qts of oil vs a diesels' gallons of oil makes a difference as well.
When I lived up North in Snow country, VT, MN, etc. storage was for six months or more. Winter was Cold. Storage prep was necessary to avoid damage from freezing, etc.
Now Living in Florida near the Atlantic brings different concerns with storage, mostly corrosion, sun and heat related issues.
Storage in our case is two to three months, not such a big deal.
However, old habits never die. With our gasoline powered RV I religiously make my annual oil service at the beginning of storage. If we have a busy year with many miles, an additional oil service might be necessary during season. No more than 5,000 miles between oil and grease services as recommended for 'heavy duty service' by Ford.

Hmmm, would I do my annual service prior to or after storage...I ask myself. I'd lean towards wanting fresh oil for when the oil has to do its job, driving. Do you want new oil sitting for months?

But the question is how many years does it take before some action like this (or myth, we need mythbusters) has any benefit?
RV Mythbusters would be a heck of a YouTube channel. But it has to be done to the level of the original myth busters. I’m willing to start this channel. Just need some donor RVs.

Latest resources

Back