Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jack L

RVF Regular
I am guessing my gas regulator needs to be changed out.
Taking it off and installing the new one requires removing and installing two threaded connections.
Questions:
1 Do I use tape, thread dope or nothing on the new screw threaded connections ?
2 Do I tighten the connections as hard as I can or just taut ?
Jack L.

for gas use yellow tape. tight but you can strip a pipe thread. test for bubbles before use. never use flame to test for gas leaks.
if in doubt let someone that knows do the job.
If in doubt let someone in the know do the job.

Tighten the brass fittings just to “snug” and test with soapy water. For thread sealant on gas lines, I prefer “pipe dope” like Oakley Pro Dope. It is a better sealant than Teflon tape, though that will work too.

TJ

That thing about using tape is that small pieces can break off during installation that get blown downstream and possibly plug an orifice or make a valve leak. Pipe dope is my preferred method of sealing threads. Make sure you leak test with soapy water.

That thing about using tape is that small pieces can break off during installation that get blown downstream and possibly plug an orifice or make a valve leak. Pipe dope is my preferred method of sealing threads. Make sure you leak test with soapy water.
That is why they make yellow tape.

I've always used white tape just make sure its not past the end of the threads so it can not get inside, as said always check with bubbles dish soap and a little water mixed works well. Don't hurt to check for leaks after using a few times. Be gentle on brass and don't over tighten.

I've always used white tape just make sure its not past the end of the threads so it can not get inside, as said always check with bubbles dish soap and a little water mixed works well. Don't hurt to check for leaks after using a few times. Be gentle on brass and don't over tighten.
The only difference between white and yellow is how thick the tape is. Why not use yellow for everything?

I'm a licensed plumber. I don't use tape on anything but an occasional air line/hose fitting. I use pipe dope on piping, it seals and lubricates the threads.

I'm a licensed plumber. I don't use tape on anything but an occasional air line/hose fitting. I use pipe dope on piping, it seals and lubricates the threads.
Former licensed plumber too. Gave my license up when I retired. We were taught no tape on gas lines.

Latest resources

Back