Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
#The last motorhome we owned, we changed out the mattress with a new queen. But it was a real struggle, and it just barely fit through the door. I’d actually like a king size mattress in our next motorhome, but we’re wondering, how do you change out the mattress? I just can’t see us sleeping on a used mattress.

We purchased a queen sized memory foam mattress. It ships rolled up and vacuum packed. Just lay it on the bed, cut the packaging off, and it will decompress to normal size.

We will do the same with a king size.

Understand not wanting to sleep on someone’s old mattress. Have change them out in the past and sometimes a struggle getting the old one out.

I was wondering if it would possibly be necessary to take out a slide and how much that would cost... We’re not fond of memory foam...

Last edited:
RV's as a rule have some weird sized beds, double check your base size so you know what will work best.

Here is a mattress we installed as @USMCRet said. It came rolled up.

I was wondering if it would possibly be necessary to take out a slide and how much that would cost... We’re not fond of memory foam...
You absolutely do not need to take out a slide. We replaced ours as we wanted a better mattress and it was a king size. It was a bit of a struggle but it did slide right out the front door. If you’re not feeling up to it, grab a couple of college kids. $20 and a 6-pack outta do it.

also look at Latex. Odorless and comfy but heavy as a whale. If you go that route, get those college kids contact info and invest in zip sheets. Your back will thank you.

RV's as a rule have some weird sized beds, double check your base size so you know what will work best.
Yeah ...i see that the so-called “RV queen“ is actually queen in width (60”) ..but not length (75” instead of 80”) ...but my husband is 6’3” so we need a real queen..but a king would be nice ..

Last edited:
A good while ago we had a TT with a short queen. I seriously thought about getting a nice piece of foam cut so I could put it up against the headboard making the bed a regular queen. It would be pretty easy to take out when we closed the slides for travel.

You absolutely do not need to take out a slide. We replaced ours as we wanted a better mattress and it was a king size. It was a bit of a struggle but it did slide right out the front door. If you’re not feeling up to it, grab a couple of college kids. $20 and a 6-pack outta do it.

also look at Latex. Odorless and comfy but heavy as a whale. If you go that route, get those college kids contact info and invest in zip sheets. Your back will thank you.
I’ll tell my husband. I believe he and my son wrestled those queen mattresses, and he’s not looking forward to doing it again, especially a king. Will check out the college kids. It’ll be totally worth it. I’m not sure about the latex. What would be the advantage of that over a regular mattress? Especially if it’s so heavy

Latest resources

Back