RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire
RV Length
45'
I'm new to the RV world. I just purchased a 2007 Mountain Aire 4523. I'm using an indoor storage unit with one 110V/15 amp outlet. The RV came with a 15 amp to 50 amp dogbone adapter. Can I use this adapter to charge the batteries or do I need a trickle charger? When charging the batteries in storage do I need to switch anything/everything off?
Thank you,
Chris

I leave mine plugged in all winter using 110v/ 20amp. Enough to charge the batteries, run a dehumidifier if needed. You still need to check/ service the batteries once in a while with distilled water.

I'm new to the RV world. I just purchased a 2007 Mountain Aire 4523. I'm using an indoor storage unit with one 110V/15 amp outlet. The RV came with a 15 amp to 50 amp dogbone adapter. Can I use this adapter to charge the batteries or do I need a trickle charger? When charging the batteries in storage do I need to switch anything/everything off?
Thank you,
Chris
Use the RV's converter it is a three stage unit and that is best.

Use the RV's converter it is a three stage unit and that is best.
Kevin,
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what converter you're talking about. I have the 50 amp plug for the motorhome and the dogbone plug. Is this the converter you're referring to? Do I need to switch breakers off? Sorry I've very new to this.
Appreciate your help,
Chris

Kevin,
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what converter you're talking about. I have the 50 amp plug for the motorhome and the dogbone plug. Is this the converter you're referring to? Do I need to switch breakers off? Sorry I've very new to this.
Appreciate your help,
Chris
The converter (maybe inverter) is the batteries charging equipment that is built into the coach.

Depending on your storage unit’s electrical setup, this may NOT be “Plug n Play” simple. Unfortunately, I know too well, after having issues at two different facilities; both for the same reason...the dreaded GFCI outlet!!! ???

With my DS4369 plugged into the standard 15A circuit, while the current never blew any breaker, it popped the GFCI All the time. And the dumb things get more sensitive the more they trip. A lot of times, you’ll have neighbors on that same protected circuit making the matter even worse.

So, here’s the solution I came up with...and it worked for years at both places:

On the Precision EMS panel, I set the ShoreLineto 15A. Then, on the Magnum Inverter panel, I set the maximum current to 5A.

These settings assured that my Coach load wouldn’t hit that outlet too hard. I never attempted to run the fridge, however.

I reduced the 50A down to 15A and was able to use a 25’ cord to pass under the door since the outlet was outside at one facility (another variable ?‍♂️).

I’m confident this will help you.

Depending on your storage unit’s electrical setup, this may NOT be “Plug n Play” simple. Unfortunately, I know too well, after having issues at two different facilities; both for the same reason...the dreaded GFCI outlet!!! ???

With my DS4369 plugged into the standard 15A circuit, while the current never blew any breaker, it popped the GFCI All the time. And the dumb things get more sensitive the more they trip. A lot of times, you’ll have neighbors on that same protected circuit making the matter even worse.

So, here’s the solution I came up with...and it worked for years at both places:

On the Precision EMS panel, I set the ShoreLineto 15A. Then, on the Magnum Inverter panel, I set the maximum current to 5A.

These settings assured that my Coach load wouldn’t hit that outlet too hard. I never attempted to run the fridge, however.

I reduced the 50A down to 15A and was able to use a 25’ cord to pass under the door since the outlet was outside at one facility (another variable ?‍♂️).

I’m confident this will help you.
Thanks for the idea set the maximum current to 5A. I'll need to try this.

So during normal operation you then set this back to 30A?

Hello Chris, and welcome to the RV World.

As you will find, owning an RV will provide you and yours with endless adventures and memories. However, far too often, small oversights can stymie a good time.

As a new RV owner, you should know that the best way to prevent problems with your RV— when you least expect them, is by having it serviced regularly with "Preventive Maintenance."

"Preventive Maintenance" helps bring to surface those little things with your RV (mechanical and otherwise) that can manifest themselves into breakdowns and subsequently take away time and add costs to your trip.

Battery adapters are a great way to keep your batteries charged when the RV is not in use, but that alone won't keep them from going bad once you drive away from storage. Regular battery maintenance is a must in any vehicle especially an RV. You can read up on how to take preventive care of your batteries or you can have one of our experts help you regardless of where in the country you are.

I wish you many happy times!

Carlos-
Zipfixxrv.com
833-336-6003

Thanks for the idea set the maximum current to 5A. I'll need to try this.

So during normal operation you then set this back to 30A?
No, back to 50A. ?

This tells the PCS to expect only 15A service so it can load-shed, while setting the Magnum to 5A controls the Inverter as well. It’s a solid combination.

Latest resources

Back