Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bwiseman2724

RVF Newbee
This regards a 2016 Roadtrek Zion SRT on Dodge Ram Promaster chassis/engine. Had dead chassis battery requiring AAA jump to drive home from recent trip. Shortly into drive, dashboard battery alert (electrical charging system alert) came on for duration. 4 hrs into 4.5-hr drive home, vehicle completely died requiring tow to Dodge dealer. Dealer has subsequently not been able to find any issue, i.e., vehicle starts/drives as normal at the dealership. We're not comfortable driving it now (it's still at dealer) given our experience on the road. Anyone encountered this issue and has any idea as to root causes or solutions?

Maybe a dead cell in the battery could be triggering the alert??? Think I'd be getting my good multimeter out and checking the DC voltage at the battery when this happens and just as importantly . . . the AC voltage at the battery. Much more than maybe .05 volts AC means you have one or more leaky diodes in the rectifier section of the alternator.

Leaks to ground drains the battery. Leaks of alternating current eventually kills a DC-loving battery. In reality, both of these shorten the life of an automotive battery.

Rick

I have had batteries do some odd things over the years. I detest throwing parts at a problem but will replace a battery that tests good, because I do not want to get stuck. How old is battery.?

Had time to think.
Problem is that it could be a bad ground. When I say that, you must see it could be anywhere under the hood. (ECM, key switch, engine ground. Battery connection) I mean anywhere. I would guess that it is near the battery though, because AAA was able to start the vehicle with a jump.

If the battery had an issue the truck would not restart after the tow. If it were the charging circuit, the tech at dealer would have needed to jump start. Because he/she didn't find the problem, no problem with charging system.

Because you don't say what part of the country you're in I must consider rust, no rust, it is time to hunt for a loose ground.

Hope that helps.

P.S. when it comes to intermittent, they don't spend time looking. Drive with phone on the dash until you find the connection so you can have it towed when needed.

I had exactly the same problem with 2022 chassis. Had to be towed to Dodge dealer who told me they couldn’t find the problem because there was no “error code.” We broke down two more times….back to the dealer…same story. Broke down again while hundreds of miles from dealer. Opened battery compartment under driver’s seat and discovered loose ground connection to negative post of battery. So every once in a while everything went completely dead. Tightened it and now everything works. Not impressed with today’s “ auto mechanics.”

Latest resources

Back